Ultimate Subaru Message Board

!RESCUED! 1980 Subaru Brat

Scooner

Yo man, I do not need a 4 speed actually. I might have this one gone over by a tranny shop first and if they say it's bad I will remove the one out of the Grey brat.

Then again I've got this wild itch to put an EJ22 in it with my other 5 speed D/R. I did some crude measuring in between the frame rails and it looks like a phase one EJ22 will fit right between them without modifying them? I thought I remember someone saying they notched the rails and boxed them out so valve cover gaskets could be done with the motor in the car?

That doesn't really bother me all that much.

How much fun would it be to have an EJ motor in a first gen?

Yo man, I do not need a 4 speed actually. I might have this one gone over by a tranny shop first and if they say it's bad I will remove the one out of the Grey brat.

Then again I've got this wild itch to put an EJ22 in it with my other 5 speed D/R. I did some crude measuring in between the frame rails and it looks like a phase one EJ22 will fit right between them without modifying them? I thought I remember someone saying they notched the rails and boxed them out so valve cover gaskets could be done with the motor in the car?

That doesn't really bother me all that much.

How much fun would it be to have an EJ motor in a first gen?

Very Cool...  When you get ready .. let me help especially with the harness. Mine's getting ej's phase 2 next year. I'm doing lift and 5 speed in 2 weeks. Still debating 2" or 4" .  I can actually get an extra inch in front with the cool adjustable spring perches. 

Do a cool mod to the hitachi and keeping the motor stock. Trying to find an ea81 cross member with power rack?

• 2 weeks later...

23p63n.jpg

Just picked this back up, Napa resurfaced it for $23.75. Makes me realize how incredibly ridiculous this Aamco is for not even moving on their price if $75 to do it.

You can probably tell I'm not going to EJ this BRAT right now, instead of spending the summer in the garage modifying I want to put it all together and enjoy it for what it is. So what if it has 63 hp? I'm thinking that might add to the coolness of it! Can't wait to cruise this thing around town this summer and possibly even drive it to the car show/cruise in Golden, CO?

• Like 1

We could really rock some Colorado snow on that mirror surface. HeHe. You and I will be sportin 60 sumpin hp this summer, hopefully together if the snubaru cures itself. I'm keepin mine ea81 with modified Hitachi for better response on primary and secondary circuit. Shame not to test out the Gear Motor for a season or two.  

Got most of everything together for a final push in 2-3 weeks. 3 inch BOSS lift, rear disk upgrade and Master, new shocks, 15's with 25.5 tires OFF-road steel wheels / 24.2 Street 15" PUGS. Original 4 bolt hubs for now but have a set of 6 bolt for another day. 5 speed conversion and new cross member (power steering upgrade) when I lift it. Will add 3/4 inch of spring rate front as well as I'm am getting a custom skid and winch bumper super heavy. Don't get in my way mama.. 

I little poo poo'd that the Cyclops is going to be a little in the way of the winch bumper. The guy I'm getting it from used to pull out 3/4 ton trucks with a 10,000 lb winch ... go figure. Used to make 2 big ones for that in the Rockies.

Don't let your meatloaf Bro ...

• 1 month later...

29561rt.jpg

Been awhile since I've worked on this garage relic but finally getting going on it again. I pulled the engine to get a new clutch kit on, gaskets and that sort of thing. Then I found that the pilot bearing had LONG ago been destroyed and just the bearing race was left. Took forever to chisel out but I got it. You can see what's left with the new one.

• Like 1