Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '01 Outback

goosesrh

I have a 2001 Outback Base Model

I bought this back around 5 weeks ago off an older gentlemen for next to nothing because he thought it had "an outrageous" amount of miles on it and he was tired of looking at it. Well, i'll tell you it just hit 197,5k and still runnin' strong! As far as I know he's the original owner. The engine bay is super clean, she runs beautifully, never left me sit so far. Doesn't seem to be doing the typical Subaru oil leak. And, I run 5w-30 SynBlend. (Can't afford Synthetic) The thing is when I first start the vehicle it makes a tapping noise up until the car is slightly warmed up, then you can't hear it. But it has that weird really light ticking noise like some Toyota's & older Honda's have even when it's warmed up. Now keep in mind I DO respect the vehicle and I do not stomp around in it or do anything stupid because she's an ol' girl, and I'd like to keep her around for a long time.. Well, as long as I can.. No cloudy oil, no cloudy antifreeze, etc. Everything's good. I'm just kinda concerned about the noise.

P.S. I currently run low-grade gas (With the stupid mandatory "up to 10%" ethanol) with Sea Foam/GUMOUT/Lucas on EVERY fill up. I can't seem to find mid-grade around here for less than $3.30/gal.

But on that rare occasion I can find some mid-grade cheap, I jump on that spoob, and it's like there's a Chinese midget under the hood spraying ether in my intake every time I step on the gas! Alas, the noise lessens but it's still there..

Any advice?

Check your owners manual I am willing to bet that is not the correct oil weight for your car..  It doesn't have to synthetic just a good oil.  I am gonna guess @ 10-30.  I would be surprised if the tapping doesn't subside.  And  Welcome tp the USMB family.

Mike

Edited by Mykeys Toy