Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I got an 84 brat and it ran awesome, however within 2 days the fuel pump went "out" replace it and still nothing. So a kid my age had it before the owner I got it from and kind of messed with it all. I'd like to rewire is so I know the pump is betting proper voltage and everything. Does anyone live in Vegas or near that would possible help or just schematics for a good rewiring. Also any other help for a  restore would be helpful. This will be my first restore.

V/R

it is 30 year old fuel piping causing a fuel blocakge I bet, rather than the fuel pump. The gauze in the tank can get crapola on it too. The entire fuel supply line can always do with a good blow through, piece by piece. DON'T pressurise any fuel pump or fuel filter in the mix. Treat each section on its own. Been there done that twice now ....

I don't know what fuse or relay is the fuel pump.

How would I go about blowing out the lines? I just bought new filters with the pump and they are replaced. I believe there may be crap in the lines possible or something due to the first fuel filter removed had dirty fuel in it.

You need to start by checking for power to the pump when cranking.

If no power to pump.......the problem is likely the fuel pump control unit above the hood release pull.

Do all you power checks and verify that the pump is or is not pumping before blowing out the lines.

I tested the vaults on crank and it does get 12v. So I think my new pump is bad? same with the old? thinking about switching wire hookups and getting a different pump. I dono what it could be. Also anyone know where I can get a choke Coil and housing for the Hitachi carb?

most new fuel pumps come with a warning stating there is no warranty unless the fuel tank has been cleaned prior to fitting the new pump.. Depending on what and how much crud is in the tank, it may have died a quick death :(

How I cleaned my lines out was one metal section at a time, in the order of easisest to hardest to access, and Murphys Laws states it will be the last or hardest to access. It was. I used compressed air, not my lips . Thought my last pump was dead, but turned out the nylon mesh filter inside the tank was covered in barbacles preventing any fuel to flow. It took a few minutes of 90 psi applied to the last line into th tank to clear that one :(

Why don't you try this first before declaring the fuel pump dead. Though cleaning and blowing out the lines would possible be a good idea. Disconnect the fuel line on the discharge of the pump. Get someone to just bump the key and make sure you have fuel coming out. You could attach a small run of hose and hold it in a container. These are low pressure fuel pumps unlike FI pumps. If you have fuel do the same thing under the hood off the second filter. Attach a piece of hose and have some one bump the pump over. If so you may have blockage in your carb. If not you may have blockage in the fuel pick up inside the tank or fuel lines somewhere.