Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does 205/70R15 fit on Gen1 Legacy front?

Georg

Hey folks,

May one of you can help me or rather my brother:

Any of you know whether the Forester/Outback tire size 205/70R15 does fit with stock Legacy1 struts on the front wheels regarding the lower spring perch?

The car is lifted by relocated spring perches on the rear and strut blocks on the front. That's why I only see possible rubbing at the front.

Would appreciate your wisdom here before we order new tires :P

Regards from Germany

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Without further modifications I think you will get in trouble using anything bigger than 205/70R15.

With the current setup including a 40 mm lift the front wheels clash at some locations inside the wheel wells while deflecting and cornering.

BTW: I must admit that changing tire size here in Germany is a different story due to the fact that you have to get an official approval that the new size does not affect the safety of the car. To check tire clearance they usually lift the car, put some spacers under the wheels front left and rear right f.e. and let it down to simulate deflection whilest steering to the limits in both directions. Unfortunately my brother's car failed this test caused by the front tires touching this rectangular frame rail and the rear tires having not enough clearance to somewhere I don't remember (in the eye's of the official...).

So all in all even if things work, you sometimes have to be a criminal to do them in this lovely country :ph34r:

Edited by Georg

• 2 years later...