Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I got one for y'all.

Despite the on again, off again showers this Sunday, I was bound and determined to get a few issues resolved on my Baja before the cold weather really sets in here in Upstate NY. Been having an intermittent P0420 code being thrown, so I ordered a replacement downstream oxygen sensor. I figured I ought to take care of that driver's side valve cover gasket that'd been leaking, as well. Ordered a new PCV valve, too... may as well, right?

Put it up on ramps and chocked the rear wheels. Pulled the old oxygen sensor and installed the new, without incident. Discovered the new PCV valve is entirely different than the old (plastic vs metal; nipples were the wrong size; threads were the wrong pitch), but luckily the old PCV valve wasn't bad off. Cleaned it up a bit and reinstalled it. I did manage to rotate the plug the PCV valve screws into, but I understand the plug is press fit into the case, so it is what it is. Pulled the battery and windshield washer fluid reservoir, then the driver's side valve cover and replaced its gasket. Buttoned it back up again neatly, making sure to torque the valve cover bolts down in the proper order. 

Since all of the above went pretty smoothly, I finished ahead of time. Seein' as it was raining, I figured I'd address one other minor problem I'd had... a leak resulting in a small amount of water in the front passenger foot well. I'd also heard that unmistakable sound of water hitting the blower motor fan blades, but only once. I'd had problems tracking down the leak, since I had to park slightly uphill and leave it under a fairly hard rain to replicate it. I just left the Baja up on the ramps, and slowly poured a bucket of water over the passenger side of the windshield. Didn't get the expected result of lots of water in the footwell, but it did persuade me to address it some other day.

Now here's where my problem lies... when I fired the engine up for the first time after doing all the above, the ABS light on the dash stayed on. At no point in my earlier wrenching did I come near the ABS system. I went back over and visually checked the wiring for the wheel sensors, and the wiring harnesses. I can't imagine that my pouring water over the windshield would've come close to the wiring either, but I suppose anything's possible. Cleaned up a couple of grounds, the first being the one located right next to the ABS module itself. Verified that all of the fuses are not blown, both behind the dash and in the engine bay. None of that made a difference.

Now, I imagine life would be easier if I could pull the ABS code and know what the system is complaining about. Problem is... that little trick of finding the six port plug under the dash (usually black) and grounding out port #6 using the accompanying black wires located off the same harness as the plug doesn't work. There is no wire attached to that port #6, which makes grounding it out really really difficult  :huh:. Obviously, an OBD-2 scanner is not going to pull an ABS code. I heard about FreeSSM, but it appears that it'll only talk to the ECU & TCM, but not the ABS system. Can't tell if the ABS system is working or not... hasn't rained since, and I don't have a good dirt/gravel road for miles around. Cruise control works perfectly fine.

Is there any way for a shade tree mechanic to pull that ABS code? I'd have some difficulty convincing the wife I need to buy a Subaru Select Monitor device ($1,200 used off eBay). With my luck, I'd never have another ABS code thrown. I'd also love to stay away from the dealership if I don't have to... sure, $40-$50 to have the code pulled ain't horrible, but if it's something as stupid as a "Power Supply Voltage Too Low" (maybe when I was reconnecting the battery... a long shot, but with my luck...) then I'm going to be cursing.

Edited by the_bard

If this car is like the old ones the ABS control module (computer) is under the passenger front seat...

But it should be somewhat water resistant. If you poured a whole 5 gallon bucket in the floorboard that may be an issue.

The pin that needs to be grounded changed a few times over the years IIRC.

How many wires are in the plug? Try grounding one at a time and see if the ABS codes start flashing.

According to my copy of the FSM... seems that they integrated the ABS control module (computer, not the pump) into the ECU. I did pull the carpet and the protective shield off. No sign of water there. The FSM only mentions the SSM tool, unlike other versions I've ran across the web that detail the manual method without the SSM tool.

There are four wires in that plug. Three across the top, one on the lower left. Going off my (horrible) memory:

Port 1 (top left): Honks the horn.

Port 2 (top center): blows a 15A fuse in the engine bay and renders the interior lighting, radio, and keyless entry unusable.

Port 3 (top right): does nothing noticeable.

Port 4 (lower left): does nothing noticeable.

As luck has it, I tried port 4 first, then three, thinking they might be substitutes for port #6. Then I tried port #1... and finally ended up grounding out port #2. After blowing that fuse, I figured I might better stop grounding out any more plugs. Last thing I want to do is fry the ECU.

Edited by the_bard

Tested the battery by connecting a cheap multimeter up to both battery terminals, while the vehicle was off. ~12.5 volts. The negative terminal was pretty clean when I pulled the battery... postive wasn't, so I cleaned it up a bit prior to reconnecting the battery.

I may just bite the bullet and take it into the dealership to have the code(s) pulled.

Edit: I should mentioned that I found the two green diagnostic plugs (one male, one female) that have something to do with SSM/flashing the ECU/etc. They are disconnected. There's another white plug (eight ports?) with only one wire connected. Might try to track down what that one wire does.

Edited by the_bard