Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Brat update.. and a question

K... got the 5 spd d/r installed... thank you Jerry... went easier than I expected.. at this point I would

add pics but not as easy as installing the actual tranny so far..

Currently have the front end apart as waiting on parts to redo tie rod ends, ball joints , bearings, brake parts etc...

Engine is a week or so out... so in the meantime I am lining up flywheel.pp, driveline stuff and have a couple questions.

1.  Which flywheel /PP combo is best?  I have my 84 ea81 flywheel/PP and I also have an EA82 flywheel/PP...or is this merely case of personal taste? 

2.  Should I wait to get driveline built after motor is installed? in other words even though tranny is in, will setting motor and connecting it to tranny materially affect the measurements from the output shaft to rear connection point.

3.. in reading as many posts as I can, I have seen occasional references to clutch cable issues.. should I change this out or not worry about a problem that may not exist?

4... need new seats for Brat.. mine are shot... easiest retrofit is?

comments are appreciated... ideas are valued..

Kevin

EA82 flywheel to make it proper. Just watch the clearance at the lower rear of the EA81 case. You might have to trim it a little bit. Also, I usually knock off the spare threaded boss near the right rear of the trans case. This does nothing as far as I can see, and hits on the EA81 trans tunnel.

OK on the use EA82 flywheel bolted to an EA81 crank ......EA82 flywheel to crank bolts are larger than EA81 fly to crank aren't they ?

Larger hole in EA82 flywheel for crank bolts ? I think I have seen and read this ...so how do you go about fixing the difference if there is a difference ?