Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Legacy wagon drive's side rear door glass replacement

I friends sone has a 1991 Legacy wagon with power windows. Someone broke into his car through the drivers side rear door glass. He bought a replacement piece, I helped him install it, pretty easy actually (so it seemed) . After we got it in it's tracks, bolted it in, but it rolls up all out of whack, seems to far back to the rear of the door and the front rolls up way to high and the rear to low. I noticed when rolling the window all the way down the center of the door on the inside bulges out a little. We removed the felt pieces at the top that hold the glass against the weather strip at the top of the door. even loosed up the stops and tightend them trying to get it to roll up correctly. I cannot get the window to roll up right. I've tried everything I can see. I just can't figure out the adjustement or how to adjust it. I hope i've explained this well enough for someone to guide me on this glass replacement.

HELP PLEASE

Edited by rxpilot

rxpilot,

http://www.workshopservicemanual.com/m007250-subaru-liberty-legacy-bc-bj-bf-1989-1994.html

The above link will take you to a page where you can download the service manual for the generation of Legacy you have. It is the entire service manual for several years of Legacies that all have the same frameless windows. You will have to download the manual, and then search it for the pages for adjusting the window glass. The procedure is rather involved, and will most likely cover 3 or 4 pages.

My last OBW LTD (a 2007) had the same frameless windows and I had the service manual download. For that generation the bulk of the window adjustment procedures were listed for the front and rear windows IN THE FRONT WINDOW pages. Only the different measurement procedures were given in the rear window pages of the FSM. There are a series of bolts to be loosened, the glass moved to precise locations, and then a sequence of tightening the bolts. Be sure to read the procedure for the front door glass before you tackle the rear door glass reading section.

If you have the correct glass for that rear door (I wonder if in fact that you don't), you may well have undone bolts that should have been left alone, and thereby have unadjusted the glass from its proper position. The manual will give you the proper procedure, but read carefully and take it one step at a time.

Its not rocket science, but I recall reading those pages for my 2007 several times before I tackled the job. It was confusing due to the Japanese interpreting how to change the language over to English in translation. Good Luck!

i have a wonky rear glass in my 98 outback.

but mine is due to one of the white plastic rollers is busted.

the rear most roller on the horizontal trak is busted.

the center hub that snaps to the metal arm is there,

but the roller, about the diameter of a quarter, that should surround it is missing.

i think i may unplug the motor until i get a replacement.