Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapped GL-10 issues

I have a project i've been working on, it's a gl-10 with a 2.2 swap, DR transmission, and some other goodies.. my issues are

Defrost won't blow hot and, and there is cold air coming through the heater vents, when either on or off. Vacuum? Heater core? basically i get no hot air..

even more odd.. the previous owner installed a DR tranny in it.. well, when its in FWD its actually in 4hi, 4lo works normal, but when i spoob into 4hi, car goes into neutral, even if it is IN GEAR.. that may sound confusing.. its because it is. i can be in any gear 1-R, and if i put car in 4hi, it goes to neutral.. but when shifter is in fwd.. its in 4hi.

thoughts?

Edited by mike a

Well, two things come to mind on the shift issue. Either there is something wrong in the tranny, or more likely, they screwed up the linkage for the 4wd selector when they put it in. The cold air issue.... If it's vacuum operated, then you have a vacuum issue and or the blend (temp) door is jammed or broken. If the vacuum is good and the blend door is operational, then you have an issue with the heater core. I don't have access to my manuals right now as they are buried behind all of my master bath remodel goodies in the back shop. Someone will know what to check.

When the dual range 4wd lever is "in between" FWD and 4hi, or in between 4hi and 4lo the trans will act like it's in neutral, even if you have the car in gear.

If you're sure that the car is only operating it 4hi and 4lo, don't drive it. At least not on dry pavement. You can only drive the car normally in fwd.

Now, as to WHY it's like that, the linkage is most likely out of adjustment. The 4wd lever connects to a rod on the trans. That rod moves forward and backward. I forget which direction does what, but the rod itself has adjustments on it that can be made to calibrate it. Yours most likely needs adjustment. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to that linkage while the trans is in the car. The rod runs along the side of the trans, near the top. Can't think of which side but there's pictures on some of the more recent threads about transmissions in this forum. Sorry, long day.

What type of surface are you trying to get it out of 4wd on? Pavement, gravel, grass, dirt, ect. If on pavement the gears are bound up and that's why your having problems.  If it won't come out of 4wd try jacking it up and spin the wheels by hand then see if the lever will go into neutral or  go into something soft like mud/dirt while moving try pushing the lever down hard. I have one rig that goes out of 4wd high really hard where it makes a hard  thud going into neutral. It has to be moving while i do this out it won't come out of 4wd at all. Another thought is you could have a d/r awd trans with diff lock. The air vent on the dash should be closed since that just lets air from out side come in. The heater core sounds like it's shot or plugged or the heater cables need adjusted.

There is not an adjustment on the D/R lever.  There is an adjustment of the interlock between the 4wd and D/R shifting (rod on side of trans) but if the trans has not been upened or messed with that rod should not need any adjustment.

There is not a nuetral between FWD and 4WD....only between hi/lo......

If the car is lifted that could cause the lack of FWD.....the shifter is being pulled.....needs lengthed just a bit.......otherwise.....maybe it's installed wrong.

the car was likely 3.7 ratio originally, D/R will be likely 3.9.....check that the rear end has been swapped too.

Also....I am guessing the vac hose under the dash that feeds the vents is disconnected.....look above the clutch pedal.  And likely the blend door cable is not looped on the blend door.....both of these things were probably disturbed during the dash removal for EJ swap.  There is also one more cable on the far drivers side for that vent....if it's disconnected....that vent can blow cold air all the time.