Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Main Lighting Relay

Loyale lighting is run from one of the 2 Headlight relays........LH I do believe......it's up behind the dash in the group of 4.....(black connector, wires= Black, Black, Black/red, Black/white)  Sends thte power through fuse 6 to the lighting switch.

Now, the parking light circuit gets power from fuse 4 (Red/white wire).....

Since they do not work from either ciruit I am going to suspect the switch....not the relay.  Also if the left headlight works....it's not the relay.

Both switches are bad (Combination switch and parking rocker on column)?  I replaced all four roundie relays with new ones. I didn't realize the illumination was run off the LH light relay. Originally my problem was that the driver side HL worked but passenger side was dim. Replaced all relays fixed the issue and now the cluster illumination and the running lights won't come on for either the combination switch or the parking rocker on the column.

More troubleshooting is needed.

• Like 1

Ok got it figured out. It was the fuse. In my previous attempts, I merely visually inspected the fuse. I swear it looks perfect. But after I got down to basic troubleshooting 101 starting from the lighting relay, then I hit the fuse and no power on the other end with ignition ON. Bingo. Also, the black base relay socket is the "main lighting relay" and it is separate from the headlight relays. It is energized when the ignition is turned to ON.  Glad I did not have to go after the combination switch! It would have been a bitch.

• Like 1

Here's a tip that most of you may already know.     Use your multimeter (set to ohms) to check fuses.   You do not need to pull the fuses, they have 2 small contacts on the face (where it states the amps).   Just put your probes on each contact and if ohms = 0, then the fuse is good.

I have a Duramax with approx. 2000 fuses ... when the trailer lights go out, you never know which fuse it is ... so I check 'em all.

• Like 1

No it's not.

The Running lights are run off of the left hand Headlight relay.

Glad you fixed it just clarifying. 

Thanks for clarifying, you are correct. The thing that threw me were the schematics on this. No where do they state that it is the left hand relay, just call it the "lighting relay". 

Here is the schematic I was working off of:

2010-09-30_145457_Capture.PNG

The bottom is chopped off here but the fuse 6 circuit goes to the tail and marker light via the combo switch. Of course there is a schematic for the headlights too:

2010-09-30_145303_Capture.PNG

I found the green relay (see below) to control the driver side headlights and the illumination as you stated. Was there another schematic I should have seen that pointed this out or should the relay in the first diagram really be labeled "Left lighting relay"?

Here is a pic of the roundie relays we are talking about:

112_0248.jpg

I found the green relay (see below) to control the driver side headlights and the illumination as you stated. Was there another schematic I should have seen that pointed this out or should the relay in the first diagram really be labeled "Left lighting relay"?

Yeah.....it should have been labeled "left headlight"

I hate chiltons/haynes wiring diagrams.

Nice writeup Jeszek. I thought about changing them out to square ones but I found the round ones online from densoproducts.com. Less than $7 each and they even included a free three pack of nitrile gloves.  The wiring is still good and I would have to make new mounting for square ones. So i just went ahead with what was there. It seems to work,

• Like 1