Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at a 2005 Legacy Limited for my daughter. It's in nice shape (46,000 miles) and  it isn't the turbo engine.  Does this 2.5 have the head gasket problem that shows up occassionally?  Or are there different version of this engine that have to be considered?

Also what should I expect to get for gas mileage on it?

Appreciate the help, as always

I have the 05 OB. The HG leak on these cars is external. Adding Subaru's coolant additive should cover you there. You will get some oil seepage though. After doing the 105 mile TB service, I developed an external HG oil leak that drips onto the exhaust.

When it's time for the TB service (105,000 miles OR 8 years) have them do the head gaskets, using the turbo gaskets as described on USMB for added assurance.

BTW, I bought that same car for my daughter when she was in high school. It is one zippy little car compared to the OB.

When I sold it, there was signs of the oil seepage beginning on the car.

Thanks a lot.  I was hoping to get 150,000 miles plus out of the car for her.  That'll be 4 years of driving at grad school for her.

I have the 00 Outback sedan w/245k and still going strong.  I never knew if that car had a head gasket problem in its past.

Will an additive stop the oil leak you're referrring to?

Edited by farmer

The "additive" is nothing more then a coolant stop leak, just been renamed to a "conditioner".

The 2000 to 2004s don't usually leak until 150k to the point of needing to have the head gaskets replaced. The 2005-2009s seem to leak sooner in their life, usually 50k-100k.

I only use Six Star head gaskets for this era of Subaru (all 2000-2009 2.5 NA cars), which are a multi layer steel and much better quality then the Fel-Pro Permatorques for not much more money. I've seen the Six Stars go for 200k without issues whereas I've replaced more Permatorques and OEM single layer head gaskets then I care to remember.

Be due diligent about oil changes and scheduled maintenance services, it'll be the only way to get the most mileage out of them.