Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Teach me about OBD II Scanners before buying one

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 months later...

Personally I don't own a scan tool, and I'm glad I went the route I did.  Although I do wish I had gone USB instead of Bluetooth.

I have a bluetooth ELM327 scanner and about 8 different apps on my phone and I think 5 apps on my kindle.

The reason I went this route, and will stay with this, is because of the information.  Knowing the codes is all great and dandy until you get to the car that isn't throwing codes and your scanner isn't telling you anything.

With the adapter I have and the apps I can see realtime information and Torque provides other tests showing sensors, etc... that may be reading out of range but not quite enough out of range to through a code yet.

Seeing real time info can also show you if your sucking too much gas or air at an idle causing a rough idle.  I had a slight rough idle on my Durango.  Torque showed the TPS was slightly off from where it should be, but not quite enough to through a code.  I replaced it and problem was gone.  A normal code reader couldn't have done that.

Just my 2 cents

... With the adapter I have and the apps I can see realtime information ... Seeing real time info can also show you if your sucking too much gas or air at an idle causing a rough idle.  I had a slight rough idle on my Durango.  Torque showed the TPS was slightly off from where it should be, but not quite enough to through a code.  I replaced it and problem was gone.  A normal code reader couldn't have done that ...

Well, despite that now I have some Months using the Scan Tool, I still consider myself as a Newbie on the Subject, so I'm confused about the "Realtime information" because the Scanner Tool that MR_Loyale sent to me as a Gift, has that "Realtime Readings" display, on which you can see things like Temperatures, RPM's, Voltages, MAF, and much more; even each one of the "Realtime Readings" can display a Graphic that moves on the Screen of the Scanner, like the Heart beat readers on Hospitals, so my Question is:

Is the "Realtime information" available on the Scanner tool, the same you can see with the Apps?

I know that cheaper scan tools aren't capable of any "Realtime readings" as far as I know, but this one I have is Awesome (thank you again, MR_Loyale), easy to Use, and also had helped me to fix Fifteen different Cars, so far. (yes, I counted them) 

Kind Regards.

Actually the ability to live plot real-time readings was one of the reasons I chose that model Jeszek.  You pretty much have real time abilities in that scanner. The thing is that OBDII can send many different kinds of messages, ones that exist when that scanner was produced and ones that come out since it was manufactured.  The phone apps probably have an ability to sniff out the new messages, but I am guessing that the software that came with the scanner can be updated as well as the flash memory in the scanner itself.  So other than having the ability to plot gorgeous million colored graphic based charts, yours has a basic Cartesian (x,y grid) plotting in one color.

Here is a video of what he is talking about:

No phone service contract required with your scanner.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like that is one of the nicer scan tools.  I wouldn't worry about replacing it until it dies or you actually want/need more information.

Torque and other apps are customizable and can display information side by side and are customizable as to what information to show.   You can also include a lot of information that isn't available on most scan tools.  

They also recently added a beta protocal for the Subaru to get more info on torque.

• 4 months later...

Torque and other manufacturer specific apps are a bargain for what you get, However I do not use a smartphone but a Lenovo 7 inch tab 2 android tablet, Under a hundred dollars in Australia and complete with mini usb and most importantly something few are aware of that many smart phones and tablets do not have USB OTG which means USB On The Go this is a combination of both hardware and software that is required to sucessfully plug in usb devices like code reader interfaces and make use of Micro to normal usb adapter cables.

Now because some of the software on my Lenovo Tab 2 is programming software for Ducati and Moto Guzzi ecu's the last thing I want to do when re mapping an ecu is to have a bluetooth connection time out or drop out and potentially brick an ecu, Hence the specific use of a cable connection.

There are of course specific software for most common vehicles such as Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda etc and many Euro models as well, So with a tablet that allows add in Micro SD cards for expansion and a real USB port connectivity this Tablet fits the bill perfectly sort of like a very portable laptop mine runs a dual core 1.3 GHz processor and has 16 gig of storage more than enough for what it needs to do as it is a dedicated tool not a toy.

When you search for USB OTG you will be surprised at how few tablets and smart phones actually impliment the standard, But if you play with Car and Motorcycle electronics it is a must, a bluetooth connection  may be OK just to read and maybe clear codes but beyond that only trust a solid cable connection.

Edited by coxy
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have worked on car/trucks for quite awhile and used snap on and OTC scanners for a long time not liking them that much they are fine for the big three domestics but when it comes to subis they are quite worthless. And yes on the OTC I bought the Asian package..... Nowadays I work maily on subi's up here in alsaka . I like them own them . I'm very happy bumblebeast is set for now . Here is what I did about a year ago . It was time for a update and I found a Autel Maxidas scanner instead of the usual $3000-3500 this tick in at about $1000. I was skeptical but also very sick and tired getting ripped by OTC ect. So I took the plunge. And no regrets . It scans more on most subis then any other scanner I have worked with . It scasns eurtotrash quite well too . And most important you get more then just chk eng scan . Nowadays you are bound to need that ,at least in the states.

The maxidas 709 gives quite the array of scan otion that comes pretty close to oe coverage . That being said . It doesn't do all years airbag scan on subis but in general I'm very happy . Don't expect a free update for you scanner after a year it doesn't seem to work and not enough room on the sd card etc etyc etc. But still very pleased with it .

I understand that 1000 is quite a jump from 50-100$ but when you are making money working on cars there comes a point where you can only burn so much time trying to avoid spending money. I hope this throws another bone in the yard to pick from . Thks for all your posts bumblebeast that's more or less how I started my project 92 loyale with 99 2nd gen 2.2 in it DR  tranny 15" pugs 1.5" raise in the back and 2010 VW beetle seats in it with the best bunwarmers in the world in it.

... Nowadays I work maily on subi's up here in alsaka ...

Alaska is a Wonderful place, but I can only see it on Photos and Movies, my Caribbean self doesn't bear so much cold climates, even our cool caribbean winters, makes me snooze...

... I'm very happy bumblebeast is set for now ... Thks for all your posts bumblebeast that's more or less how I started my project 92 loyale ...

You're Welcome! ... :) ... Thank you for your kind words.

I'm really glad to know that you find the information I share, Useful.

... I found a Autel Maxidas scanner ... I was skeptical but ... I took the plunge. And no regrets ... in general I'm very happy . Don't expect a free update for you scanner after a year it doesn't seem to work and not enough room on the sd card ...

Thank you for sharing with us, the information regarding that Autel Maxidas Scanner, it will be Useful.

Regarding the Lack of Space on the SD memory card, have you read the Scanner's Manual, in order to be Sure how much Memory is the Maximum allowed, for the Scanner?

Maybe you can change the 4 Gb SD card with another one of 16 Gb or even up to 32 Gb, in order to gain more space for the Updates, and that also gives you a Backup, on your old SD card; but do not exceed the Maximum memory size.

I have an old HP camera that only allows SD cards up to 4 Gb, from the old format known as SD only, it doesn't allows the newer standard known as SDHC (High Capacity), nor anything above four Gb, however, is my favourite Camera to make close up photos in Macro mode; the newer Sony camera I have, allows SDHC up to 32 Gb.

I'll like to see Photos of your Lifted Subaru with VolksWagen seats in Alaska, have you started a Build thread, yet?

Kind Regards.

Hi JesZek,

I've also been researching OBD II stuff myself and came across this thread ( some useful info right here ) & have a query for those might know :

Bits I already have on hand :

I have an Android ( 4.4 ) tablet - Mid-782 with USB & Bluetooth & Loaded it with Torque ( lite ) OBDII ... :)

ECU I have is possibly for an EA82T, with case codes of : 22611 AA400 + A11-000 R14 ...
:huh:

I'm thinking of using one of these :

4475_P_1414486369957.jpg

Found here : http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-4475-E...h+Android.html

Comes with software to download onto your phone / tablet then you can do all the monitoring stuff ... ;)

Hoping this will work as a monitoring system ( not controlling ) with more details on my proposed system to be found here :
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23077

I'd be interested to know if this combo will work, or am I'm wasting my time ... ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum
  • Like 1

I have used one of those blue ELM327s on my old civic, it will pull only Powertrain codes(Pxxxx) and show live data like current speed, engine RPM, engine coolant temp, ect.
There price varies but for basic use they're fine,

I have one in my GE impreza which gets paired to my android phone and I use torque to view the data.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Grayfox,

Have downloaded Tourqe on the tablet & had a bit of a play with it - might work if I can find the right reader for my ECU ... :huh:

It seems that there are a few different types of OBD II readers out there ( Plus they are not all Equal ) very hit & miss affair to get the right one ... :blink:

So it depends on what the manufacturer has / has not used, in the case of Subaru - the best fit looks like one of these :

V1-5-Super-Mini-ELM327-Bluetooth-ELM-327-Version-1-5-OBD2-OBDII-for-Android-Torque.jpg

V1.5 Super MINI ELM327 Bluetooth ELM 327 Version 1.5 OBD II for Android Torque Car Code Scanner

P.S. - I would like to know more about OBD II protocols too, got any more info on them ... ?

Ciao, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

Another OBD II scanner :

Free-Shipping-V1-5-Super-MINI-ELM327-Bluetooth-ELM-327-Version-1-5-OBD2-OBDII-for.jpg

V1.5 Super MINI ELM327 Bluetooth ELM 327 Version 1.5 OBD2 / OBDII for Android Torque Car Code Scanner

This one has bonus in that it can be used to connect directly to your tablet / laptop ... :o

Ciao, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum