Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Subaru Leone Touring Wagon

Nico

well the new year has lots of snow days in it which the Loyale slices through like a hot knife !.. two feet of snow BLIZZARD cant stop this little wagon.

16456812096_cf8e584171_b.jpg

lots of parts came in and its all most time to do a proper brake & suspension job on this wagon

oem subaru bolts, brake rotors F&R, rear disc hubs, whiteline 20mm non turbo sway bar, brake pads, rebuild kits spares.

I was going to get slotted rotors but they messed up the order and I cant wait that long to swap this stuff.. the leone wagon needs some love after the snow has stop falling.

15860286714_c075fdd1fb_b.jpg

• Like 2

Yes these wagons are the best in the snow even stock . Just wait till its higher

i couldn't believe how good it is... the button is amazing lol... need a rear lsd to make it perfect i think.

Jealous - Where did you get the NOS rear hubs from Nico ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

the what ? nos rear hub ? everything is from subaru there..

1989 enkie meet 1992 enkie, perfect fit caps in retro style..

16387651750_8166a32fd8_b.jpg

well I guess stoptec rotors came in... guess ill use them after all..

16549105706_7cdb92d42a_b.jpg

• Like 3

Yep - Like the Enkei's too ... :)

NOS = New Old Stock

You must of spent a 'pretty penny' on that lot ... :)

So do your spare parts suppliers have any left ? ( Rear Hubs in 4x140 PCD that is ) - If so, I would be interested to know how much for a set ? As you can't get them any more here in Australia ... :(

PM me if you don't want it broadcast - A part number would be good too ! 
( I can then plug it in to the system to see if any shows up here ) ...  ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

oem front brakes rebuilt with all oem Subaru stuff new bolts here and there and the rear control arms with some poly bushings for better handling.. now I can add the xt6 20mm sway bar I got to match the front 20mm..

16033933042_045df5f3bd_b.jpg

You check the condition of these poly bushes often?

Because they don't pivot in line with each other, they have a tendency to chop out if you've used the wrong poly material (ie too hard).

Rally guys over here in the 80s would sometimes get less than 1 rally out of these hard bushes. They'd carry spare arms and sometimes need to swap them out overnight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!

Are those Enkei rims, 13"?

Kind Regards.

yep 14' wheels.. better tire selection for summer fun.

Yep - Like the Enkei's too ... :)

NOS = New Old Stock

You must of spent a 'pretty penny' on that lot ... :)

So do your spare parts suppliers have any left ? ( Rear Hubs in 4x140 PCD that is ) - If so, I would be interested to know how much for a set ? As you can't get them any more here in Australia ... :(

PM me if you don't want it broadcast - A part number would be good too ! 

( I can then plug it in to the system to see if any shows up here ) ...  ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

my dealership still has stock of the hubs.. there not cheap ill tell you that much ill send you the price over pm you decide or check your dealership with part number.

I rather use new oem Subaru made parts because they will out last any of those cheap parts at half the price... in the end you pay more for using the cheap parts over the factory stuff. that's what I learned... dont get me wrong there is some stuff that is made better like performance things..

Can't wait to see the gold wheels on! I love seeing pics of this wagon its so clean!  :slobber:

its getting warm out for sure once the snow melts ill order the tires up for summer time..

You check the condition of these poly bushes often?

Because they don't pivot in line with each other, they have a tendency to chop out if you've used the wrong poly material (ie too hard).

Rally guys over here in the 80s would sometimes get less than 1 rally out of these hard bushes. They'd carry spare arms and sometimes need to swap them out overnight.

rally guys go through dirt rocks and gravel which will cut the bushings for sure, i have the same stuff on my sedan with no ill affect but ill check them out and get back to you..

for now they seem perfect

What a mess this week was !.. after losing a brake line to rust it was time to strip this wagon down and start phase 1 of the project.

who ever owned this car before me just didn't like to grease anything ! :mad: cv axles where rust/weld to the rear diff and hubs ! disaster

front axles where some knock off junk crap that had to be cut off !.. axle looked new and at 100kms the front would shake like I had all my rims and tires unbalanced !

Oem Subaru front brakes, rotors, bearings, seals, bolts. cv axles all re done with oem boots clamps and grease, also kyb shocks installed, whiteline 20mm sway bar.

16565529297_bb87fbb185_b.jpg

Oem Subaru rear disc turbo brakes conversion rebuilt with all new parts, bearings, bolts and XT6 rear arms with the 20mm sway bar and new kyb shocks.

16585237268_a4d7f17709_b.jpg

rear has all the bushings for that tight feeling like my white sedan with the xt6 moustache bar for the bigger bushings, braided brake lines all around.

16772796625_9c00bff76b_b.jpg

how does is drive so far... just amazing what new brakes bushings and shocks can do to a car feel.. 100km+ feels smooth as butter !... the motor is now the weak link and needs more power to over come the good handling with stopping power.

• Like 1

rally guys go through dirt rocks and gravel which will cut the bushings for sure, i have the same stuff on my sedan with no ill affect but ill check them out and get back to you..

for now they seem perfect

It's nothing about being cut by rocks, etc (they put underbody shields on for this stuff, but that the 2 bushes don't rotate along the same axis. Therefore, they deform, something that some poly bushes don't handle very well. The bushes will be fine for the short term, but give them 12 months maybe and they might have deteriorated completely if you've got the wrong material in there.

How have I missed this thread?

Awesome work.  But I am confused, is this thing a turbo awd or NA PT4wd single range with a turbo dash?  I've not seen an engine bay pic yet!

I love your ability to just cut bits out, weld in new then spray them up like that so it all looks new.  Personally I wouldn't go a two tone but it works well!

The rim selection you have also look good!

Don't lower it!  RAISE it!! ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

It's nothing about being cut by rocks, etc (they put underbody shields on for this stuff, but that the 2 bushes don't rotate along the same axis. Therefore, they deform, something that some poly bushes don't handle very well. The bushes will be fine for the short term, but give them 12 months maybe and they might have deteriorated completely if you've got the wrong material in there.

gotcha ill have to keep a eye on them.. they seam to be ok so far the company that makes them is whiteline and super pro and nolathane.. I am coming up with something new for all that also on my white car all spherical bearings for the laser sharp handling

How have I missed this thread?

Awesome work.  But I am confused, is this thing a turbo awd or NA PT4wd single range with a turbo dash?  I've not seen an engine bay pic yet!

I love your ability to just cut bits out, weld in new then spray them up like that so it all looks new.  Personally I wouldn't go a two tone but it works well!

The rim selection you have also look good!

Don't lower it!  RAISE it!! ;)

Cheers

Bennie

its a non turbo, in canada suabaru does things different like add a dash from a turbo car lol.. its na PT 4wd... ill snap a pic of motor soon for you..

well really i can slam it and raise it super high since I got coils going on with extra high adapters..

i'm not feeling the two tone but its a daily driver, maybe will paint it all one colour will see what i do with it in the summer..

so since I wont be needing any of my hsd coil overs on my sedan I decided to use them all on the wagon.

so after thinking about it I came up with this ice cream cone cup idea... the front hub on the old subarus had a slide in shock like a ball joint and bolt holding it in...

got a machine shop to wip up a cup that slides in my stock hub and he made threads so

I can add coil overs in the top.. there is also a hole in the bottom so I can adjust the coil overs with a allen key...

the rear ill use spherical bearings and a new top hat I got coming.

16746038529_7095f313e7_b.jpg

so instead of breaking the bank in making a rear top mount, I had some tein top hats kicking around and decided to use the centre section that un-bolts and holds the spherical bearing in place.

the bearing need to be replaced and the aluminium ring busted so I got my machine shop to make me new new rings with 6 point 30mm socket on it.

16375865683_e903075e8f_b.jpg

ill get the same hole size drilled in my stock hat and weld it in place and get it powder coated so it last long time.

16788588687_2a74e64951_b.jpg

16373582264_6cd35d07fe_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
finally found a JDM bumper for my car in japan, this is the RX Leone one its got super light weight jdm beam and means i can finally mount all my OEM subaru fog lights to the wagon..

17228910991_568ed94458_b.jpg

• Like 2

I still can't figure out how you keep getting all this amazing stuff. I just don't get it lol. How do you find stuff in Japan, let alone have it shipped to you!? I really need a lot of this stuff :) I still give you mad props on this and your Sedan, you do amazing work.

-Tom

• Like 1

I love this quote!!

And top effort on finding that hard to find stuff.  But I really don't understand that bumper - looks like a stock one to me, so what's the diff?

Cheers

Bennie

The Beam inside of it is probably made of some type of alloy or has more holes in it to make it lighter.

Maybe its filled with Helium :P

• Like 1

I still can't figure out how you keep getting all this amazing stuff. I just don't get it lol. How do you find stuff in Japan, let alone have it shipped to you!? I really need a lot of this stuff :) I still give you mad props on this and your Sedan, you do amazing work.

-Tom

got to have a good eye to find it on the net its out there and lots of it... what you after ?

Also I will love to have some of those parts for my Subie...

And I agree with Thomas, you do an amazing work indeed.

Your Subies are Lucky to be Yours  :) 

Kind Regards.

thank you Loyale 2.7 Turbo !

I love this quote!!

And top effort on finding that hard to find stuff.  But I really don't understand that bumper - looks like a stock one to me, so what's the diff?

Cheers

Bennie

you guys in the usa got the jdm plastic but never the light weight beam.. pics are up to show it.. its so light I say maybe 2 lbs maybe. Canada was the only country to get that special bumper plastic on the 86 year which I have.

The Beam inside of it is probably made of some type of alloy or has more holes in it to make it lighter.

Maybe its filled with Helium :P

LOL... its just a unit to hold the plastic up very thin and less metal I can twist it with my hands... more for the fog lights they bolt on now.

LoL!

Nico: What are the Plans with this Great Wagon?

The Lightweight Bumper says "Racing" somehow  :D 

Kind Regards.

ill do some track day events for fun, but in the end its my daily driver... motor swap is coming ea82 is dying a slow death.

You should show the back of both bumpers to show the difference Nico ... ;)

pics up..

sorry i didnt get to take pics when i took it apart, its been sandblasted and powder coated now.. the beam is super light compared to the north america one in the back... black one is jdm its pretty much hollow in the middle like a U shape

16649620364_6b5916cfd8_b.jpg

17084295678_2ba70e9041_b.jpg

sand blasted and powder coated the JDM Leone RX bumper so it will last along time

17084526720_056cdaeab9_b.jpg

light weight Leone RX JDM bumper is and all the Subaru Leone fog lights OEM

16651870503_ce0b2fb72e_b.jpg

HSD coilovers with pillow ball rear top hats installed and just need to level it out a bit in the rear and it rides amazing. there is no camber adjustment on these old Subaru's but now i got camber plates and -4 deg lol

once it get warm ??? i can put my gold enkie's on for summer

17271634301_8c43d4c10a_b.jpg

Edited by Nico
  • Like 3