Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BEST WAY; Ship A Complete Engine?

Who can help me out a bit on the best way (safest & cheapest) to ship complete 85 MPFI EA82 engine (long block-I think is the terminology)? 

Currently it is attached to an engine stand and I assume I'll be taking off that before shipping.  I don't know if a shipper would pick it up at my driveway.  Who loads it?  Would I ship on a palet and I shrink wrap it or tie it down with ratchet straps?  Do I take it somewhere to ship it? 

Also what is the accurate weight?  Probably be good to overestimate the weight a bit just to be sure it doesn't go over some limit.  Appreciate it anyones has experience doing this type of shipping.  I will be shipping it from Escondido, CA 92027  Let me know how this is best done. Thanks!! Aaron

Oh, sorry.  I didnt ship and engine.  The way it works is you input what you are shipping, where to where.  People will then start giving you quotes.  Obviously box it, crate it, etc to make it easy for them to come an load it.  May be someone with a van, a pickup...anything.

I think you could use any of the LTL carriers, Yellow Freight, Conway, etc. Generally I think you're paying for a 4'x4' space for the pallet and then an additional amount if it's over a certain weight. There might be some who would give a discount if it is stackable. I would guess the lowest cost would be if you had it on a pallet or in a crate and you took it to their terminal for shipping (rather than them picking it up from you). Same on the delivery end, i.e. if it's going to a residential address or someplace that does not have a loading dock and needs a liftgate to get it to the ground that's usually like an extra $100. But if the receiver picks it up at the freight company's terminal it's a lower cost.

Thanks for the unput everyone, I appreciate it.  Found about the most affordable way is:

1) LTT, "less than truckload"

2) on a palet with a strong box built over it (see above photo thanks Ibreakstuff)

3) fluids drained (probably a couple ol towels under too)  and tied down well

4) dropped at a carriers terminal for shipping

5) picked up at carriers terminal for pickup

6) the shipper quoted $275 +/- to transport the engine from San Diego terminal to Eugene Oregon terminal. 

Taking it to and picking it up from the shipper's terminals saves alot of cost as you can imagine.

If the shipper had to pick it up at your house or drop it off there it's a lot more $$$$. 

So, that's an idea of the cost to ship for 1000 miles and 16 hour drive time.  Aaron

• Like 1