Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey all, 

I recently acquired a 1990 legacy. Drove it for a couple days, then all of a sudden I'm driving along and all of a sudden the car dies instantly with all electrical gone. Checked the battery and alternator and both are good. Tracked it down to the fusible link in the underhood fuse box, which had blown. So i grabbed another one, put it in and as soon as i hooked the battery up it blew up. Pulled all the fuses in the box, put in another and smoked it too. 

So i'm at a loss. I'm new to Subaru's, anyone have electrical issues like this before? I don't know what would be upstream of the fuse panel that, with all fuses removed, would be smoking this fusible link like that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Well I already pulled the whole fuse panel apart to see exactly that. There was a bunch of grease in there all over everything but no visible short damage. I cleaned it all, put it back together and still have the same short at the fusible link. As far as the two fuses closest to it, which two are you referring to? The two closest of the three 45 amps? 

hey all,

I recently acquired a 1990 legacy. Drove it for a couple days, then all of a sudden I'm driving along and all of a sudden the car dies instantly with all electrical gone. Checked the battery and alternator and both are good. Tracked it down to the fusible link in the underhood fuse box, which had blown. So i grabbed another one, put it in and as soon as i hooked the battery up it blew up. Pulled all the fuses in the box, put in another and smoked it too.

So i'm at a loss. I'm new to Subaru's, anyone have electrical issues like this before? I don't know what would be upstream of the fuse panel that, with all fuses removed, would be smoking this fusible link like that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Try discinnecting The alternator

There is only one in a legacy

There is one "fusible link"  and also a few "Slow Blow Fuses" or SBF.

It was unclear to me which of those he meant.  The one fusible link is for charge....so it won't remove all power to fuse box.....SBF 2 is the one that runs the ECU.

There is one "fusible link" and also a few "Slow Blow Fuses" or SBF.

It was unclear to me which of those he meant. The one fusible link is for charge....so it won't remove all power to fuse box.....SBF 2 is the one that runs the ECU.

Well I was asuming they ment fuseabil link since most people would call the sbf a fuse since that's what it looks like and technically what it is.

• 4 years later...
11 hours ago, rickdille1961 said:

Had the same trouble of blowing the fusable link in my Daughter's 97 outback legacy. Took the alternator off and it tested bad low voltage. Bought a new one and will install it tomorrow.

Put the new Alternator on and have the same problem. New fuse in the link and the car starts and runs fine. Shut it off and it won't restart because the fuse is blown again.