Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Subaru! 1987 Gl

Hello USMB,  Oh I have lurked these forums waiting for the day that I might actually have a sub of my own.  Today I finally joined the club!  :banana:

I got a 1987. GL hi/lo with 180k on the clock but well cared for.  Engine runs nicely.

My only concerns from maiden voyage home were clutch, feels harder than i would think is normal. But I really dont know whats normal for this era.  Also steering is really hard (sometimes) like no power steering. 87 must have had power steering right???

Wow, call me a noob if youve ever seen.  I apologize, But what can I say im excited.  

first pics

post-55969-0-64774400-1416819829_thumb.jpg

post-55969-0-53589700-1416819835_thumb.jpg

:headbang: 

Did the 87 GL have a clutch cable?? I just replaced my crappy aftermarket cable in my '84 GL Wagon  with a fresh Subaru OEM cable and with the aftermarket my clutch was very stiff and the shifting wasn't good at all. now with the OEM cable, the shifting is as smooth as a babys bottom with melted butter, and the clutch is soft as a pile of Angel Soft toilet paper! 

So... if the 87 has a cable, maybe that needs to be replaced? Congrats on the new car!! :D

The clutch cable may be too tight. as the clitch wears some slack should be adjusted to it. You will find anything you need for questions here.

a 1987 GL is a good one to start with. This way, if you ever end up with newer subarus, you can appreciate the heritage of the subaru platform.  Good luck

• Like 1