Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Survival and Roadside Assistance Kit

Okay so I think its no secret that the majority of us subaru guys take our rides into some extreme places. Since we're human, sometimes we forget to fill the tank all the way, or push our rides too far, and end up stranding ourselves in the middle of nowhere until help arrives. Or like all vehicle owners, we find ourselves getting buried in a freak blizzard or something like that. The point being to all this that its a good idea to keep a survival and roadside assistance kit in or vehicles. I have a survival kit in my car,but I know there is more I can add to it. Here's my list, I know there is other stuff that I am forgetting or would be helpful so please chime in with your own list! 

Survival

• Matches, WetFire, two lighters, Swedish Steel  
  • 3 fleece blankets, 2 space blankets 
  • Energy bars
  • H2O purification tabs
  • NOAA Crank weather radio
  • 3 flashlights
  • Extra batteries (AAA and AA)
  • 8-10 chemical hand warmers 
  • Deck of cards
  • .22cal Ruger pistol 
  • 50' poly rope (or paracord)
  • hatchet 
  • Survival knife (I threw in my Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate knife) 
  • Knife sharpener
  • T.P.
  • Survival whistle 
  • Glow sticks (use them as flares)
  • 3-5 Shotgun shells (my Remington is in the car with me about 60% of the time and even when its not the powder can be used as a fire starter.)
  • Compass

Medical

• Assorted bandaids 
  • Quickclot pads
  • gauze
  • ​Ibuprofen & tylenol 
  • Q-Tips
  • med tape
  • burn pads (for severe burns)  
  • Aloe Vera 
  • antibiotic ointment 
  • Tums
  • Anti-diarrheal
  • Chapstick
  • Alcohol Pads 
  • Sports tape

Mechanical/ Roadside Assistance

• Guerilla Tape 
  • QuickSteel (Basically steel-in-a-tube, awesome stuff!)
  • General tool kit
  • Jack
  • Jumper cables
  • Tire plugs
  • 12v Air compressor 
  • Electrical supplies (wire, elec tape, fuses etc.)
  • Shovel 
  • 1 quart 10W-30 blended synthetic oil
  • Towstrap
  • WD-40 
  • 4 brand new spark plugs 
  • Extra thermostat/gasket
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Zip-ties
  • 1 bottle of cankcase, tranny, power steering stopleak
  • Gallon of coolant

Okay so thats what I have in my ride. Now what did I forget that would be useful?

Edited by Sapper 157
  • Like 2

Thats a good list...mine is similar. Instead of a hatchet, i keep a machete. Instead of the .22 Ruger pistol, i have a ruger 10-22, and my ever present browning hi-power. Ammo of course.

And with the tow straps, i keep an assortment of clevises and D rings, cuz ya never know what ya may end up needing to hook up to.

Climbing rope, a 1.5 ton come-a-long, 550 cord... A heater made from a coffee can, a few bottles of 80% isopropyl alcohol, and TP (tp acts as a wick) a mil-surp german folding shovel, spare gallon of gas where the spare tire used to be, tools, belts, misc. hardware, fluids, etc etc.

This is an interesting topic outside of your normal 'tools and spare parts' topics.

Aside from driving around with the tools i use to work on my car, I carry an EDC (everyday carry) bag with me in the case i would have to abandon my car in the cold or far away.

For the car itself i keep a shop rag folded up in a square on the strut tower to check the oil. A spare bottle of oil fins nice behind the battery, and a spare jug of coolant can be made to fit on the passenger side of the engine. In the trunk i keep a tire plug kit and jumper cables, and tire iron or breaker bar. 

Inside the car i contain with what fits in my bag or on my person. I have a general rule of not leaving valuables in thhe car as i live in an urban environment. 

In the bag i keep a pair of cotton jerzey gloves, some mechanic type gloves, wool hat and scarf, shemagh scarf, bandana. Any of these items i may be wearing in rotation. Also in the bag are AA aND AAA batteries, pocket radio, and an airforce issue ontario knife. I also keep a notebook and random paracords and zip ties, lunch and whatnot i have with me. The bag is a marine ILBE assault pack with sustainment pouch on the external PALS webbing. 

On my person i have a folding razor blade knife, .380 spare mag, maglite LED 2AA, leatherman surge pocket tool. 

The farm store has a lot of european military surplus cold weather gear that i have been collecting up and makes for my hats and gloves and wool clothing

I have made some EDC videos with my belt and pocket carry if i can get my video software working again :)

Batteries!! I knew I was forgetting something obvious.

Where excactly can that extra jug of coolant go? I looked in the engine compartment of my ride (84 Gl wagon EA81), I cant find a good spot for it. You should post a pic of where you put it so my tiny brain can understand exactly where you put the jug of coolant.  :)

I was referencing an  EJ car, but ion an ea81 the coolant bottle fits whre the waher bottle is...

On ea cars flip the spare tire upside down and you can keep jumper cables and a tow rope there, and possiby the coolant. Remove the spare and there is lots of room