Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy awd issues and more

OK I have been asked by my dad to work on his subbie.. it's got a few issues .. I am having to install a front axle in it (no biggie) he's asked me to look at the check engine light to see how I can get it off. Can anyone explain how to ? of course it's OBDI and not two..

but the biggest issue is ..

the AWD doesn't work! 

I verified that they are NO fuse in the FWD under thee hood.

I've tried to climb a hill and seen ONLY the front tires spin

I jacked it up on four jack stands and the back wheel tries to spin but does NOT do anything

as far as I know it's NEVER worked since he had it

what can I test or look at ?

I think it maybe inside the back of the transmission maybe a solenoid or clutch pack ? 

any thoughts ideas etc? 

Hi - Welcome to the USMB forum,

Does the POWER light blink when the car is started/turned on? If so there's a TCU code stored - READ THIS. This may help ID the issue.

Most likely the rear clutch packs are dead....there are a bunch of threads on here on what others have done to fix/diagnose this.

The CEL needs to be read (pulled) from the ECU - READ THIS. Reply back when you know the code(s).

Don't use cheap CV axles....you'll just be doing the job again in 6 months.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

OK just got time to look more into dads car.

I wasn't able to do the TCU test ( I currently have the passenger axle out) so I couldn't drive it to warm it up.

but I did have a question I laid under the car & turned the rear wheel to verify that the drive shaft was turning ( which it was ) so then i grabbed the drive shaft & turned the wheel.

I was able to hold the drive shaft & turn the wheel..is this normal or do I have something wrong with the rear end as well ? I'd hate to rebuild the rear clutch pack just to find out that the  rear end is fubared as well ? 
Also I was able to pull the ECU codes and it appears (best I can tell) are 24,32,33, 35 (maybe) 

so now what? I am new to subbies but not mechanics so I am hoping ya'll can help me out & get the AWD working again 

unless you like pulling things apart for fun,

you need to determine if the mechanics are working.

but as mentioned,

you will need both axles in.

but if you want to drive it,

you will need both axles in anyway.

even a torn boot clicking axle will work.

unplug the TCU

jack up one side of the car, both wheels front and rear.

shift the trans yo N.

start the car.

hand brake off.

mark both up tires in the same relative position.

rotate one up tire by hand.

the other up tire should rotate EXACTLy like the one you move.

if no, the transfer clutch is bad.

• Like 1

24 Air control valve    Air control valve inoperative (Abnormal signal produced in monitor circuit)    
32 Oxygen sensor    Oxygen sensor inoperative     
33 Vehicle speed sensor    Abnormal voltage input entered from vehicle speed sensor        
35 Canister purge solenoid valve    Solenoid valve inoperative  

24 - IACV (holds the IDLE) - May need cleaned or could be the wires are cracked/corroded/etc.

32- check wiring - only one on the '93.

33 - Likely the tip /blade of speed sensor in the transmission housing (near the DIFFERENTIAL dipstick on passenger side) is bad. Search on here how to fix that.

35 - common for this code to get set w/others. when you get the axle back in follow the RESET procedure listed in the ECU codes link.

And the TCU test doesn't require it to be 'warmed-up'....AFAIK.....just follow the rest of instructions. You're looking for HISTORICAL or Previous codes (review the link again as there are 2 ways to check TCU codes).

GL,
TD
Edited by wtdash

Thanks GUYS

I'll look into this when I get home and I 'll try the test that johnceggleston suggested once I get the axle back in.

but the question about the drive shaft not moving when I turn the back wheel and hold the drive shaft

is that normal ?

Jack one wheel of the ground and turn that, the driveshaft should turn. Then try holding the driveshaft and see if it still turns. If it does then something is wrong.

An open diff with both tires off the ground can be turned without the driveshaft turning, it just transfers it to the other wheel

Thanks GUYS 

I'll look into this when I get home and I 'll try the test that johnceggleston suggested once I get the axle back in.

but the question about the drive shaft not moving when I turn the back wheel and hold the drive shaft

is that normal ? 

well, it's normal if you see the other wheel move. (the opposite direction if 'open' diff.)

I like this video about differentials;

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help !! I did what you suggested mikaleda  thanks  so If I understand if I jack it up on one side and both wheels don't turn then it's mechanical ? Is with that being said.... looks like it's mechanical ... so my next questions is where do i get the rebuild kit ? I tried ebay but didn't have any luck ? can someone send me a link or something so that I can look it up ? I think made this project Dads Christmas present (although it maybe afterwards before he gets it ah ha ) So any help would be nice in locating the parts