Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tube Bumpers (Solid Works)

tedbull

Does not have to be solid works. Can be any kind of sketch or diagram. I realy just need the measurements of the mounting brackets. No time to pull my bumpers to measure. If I can get the measurements I can start fabricating bumpers at work.

The time spent typing my comment was done at work. Back bumper sure, simple. My front bumper not so much. Since I dropped the cross member the valve covers are right in the way of pulling the bolts. Not even two universals would get me in there. Going to have to drop the cross member, or lift the motor off the cross member.

Anyways, haven't had the time to pull the bumpers Since I work long days. But I do have time while at work to fabricate. Figured somebody had a drawing or sketch they could shoot me.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the motor to get the bumper off. IIRC the bumper is held on by 4 bolts(14mm?...might be 17mm) right above the rectangle subframe that the front engine crossmember bolts to. its just behind the radiator, well in front of the valve covers. There are captive nuts on the inside of the engine compartment, the bolts come out towards the outside of the car and the heads of the bolts are accessed inside the forward wheel well. If you still have your liners in the wheel well, you'll need to pull those out. Its really not hard, I think you might be confusing it with something else. 

I find it a lot easier to build things like bumpers, skid pans and any other armor directly on the rig. Things have a way of getting tweeked around and with unibody rigs, the distance between mounting points can depend if it was made on a Wednesday or a Friday. I know you don't wanna hear that because you want to fabricate stuff at work, but there is very little that I would feel comfortable fabing up away from my rig with out taking a ton of measurements. 

It was good to wheel with you up to walker valley, are up for going to reiter sometime? I haven't been there since it reopened.

Josh

You shouldn't have to do anything with the motor to get the bumper off. IIRC the bumper is held on by 4 bolts(14mm?...might be 17mm) right above the rectangle subframe that the front engine crossmember bolts to. its just behind the radiator, well in front of the valve covers. There are captive nuts on the inside of the engine compartment, the bolts come out towards the outside of the car and the heads of the bolts are accessed inside the forward wheel well. If you still have your liners in the wheel well, you'll need to pull those out. Its really not hard, I think you might be confusing it with something else. 

You';re describing EA81 car.......>EA82 cars the bumper bolts are accessed in the engine bay.........the captive nuts are in the bumper rail.

• Like 1

I Have Had The Front Bumper Off A Couple Of Times and never had an issue. Now that it is lifted and the sub frame dropped the motor is in the way. I dropped one socket in the tube frame already. I will find a way.

I can't fab the bumpers on the rig, I don't have a welder or a band saw at home. But I have everything a guy could need at work. And I get material for scrap rate from work.

So I guess I was in a hurry, tired, or just distracted when I tried to pull the front bumper this last time. I was looking too far back and going for the large holes in the frame rail, like the rear bumper. But I just looked just now and see the small 14mm bolts up front.

Edited by tedbull

I am up for a trip to Reiter. I was talking with my buddy "crash" who has helped get Reiter back open and it sounds like there is limited trails that are basically "groomed" with some man made features here and there. I guess they are pretty gnarly, meant for full on rock crawlers. Worth checking out though. I miss Reiter.

I also hear great things about Elby, Green mountain, and Naches.

I have built several bumperss for many a Subaru. Unfortunately what you are going to run into , is that the mounting points almost never line up with just measurements. Over the years, the dies they use to press thhe sheet metal get worn, etc..

Bolt holes are hard to line up without doing it on the car.

just saying.

Cheers

i agree those bolt holes are always alittle off best to build the bumper and put it on then mark your holes then remove it and drill them its the only way to make sure its not sitting funny on the car someone in one of these threads sead to leave the mounting pieces as long as posable and add a few more bolt holes to spread the load i like the square tube bummper to ive been thinking about puting it back on but the stinger is alittle small and theres no reciver on it but that wouldent be hard to change i like the function of it more than the one im running now but i think im gona build a hybread of sort between the 2 styles next