Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Blue Bandit

Sapper 157

Your story is very similar to others who have also had wagons in the past, subaroo808. The stories all seem a like and its usually some old guy that walks up to me and says

"Nice car ya got thar. I used to have one just like it back in '88. I took the little dam' thing ta hell n' back and it just kept on a puttin'. If I remembers' right, I think I sold it to some junkie for two hundred bucks."

The sad thing is how quickly these little workhorses are thrown away. It breaks my heart to see a wagon that has not lived a full life yet and is just left to die at some junkyard somewhere.

Edited by Sapper 157

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Sooooo, anyways... Ive been a little busy  :rolleyes: post-54976-0-24127000-1465480328_thumb.jpg

Plan to do:

• Clutch
  • Replace Oil Pump (old one cracked)
  • Degrease 
  • Major carbuerator rebuild 
  • Reseal Water pump
  • PCV valve 
  • Reseal EGR 
  • New oil filler tube seal
  • Front main seal
  • Rear main seal 
  • Coat newer valve cover gaskets in RTV
  • Oil pan gasket (with RTV)
  • New v-belt 
  • New radiator 
  • New OEM thermostat 
  • New cooling hoses 
  • New fuel hoses 
  • Fine tune valves
  • New Cap and rotor 
  • What am I missing? Lol 
Edited by Sapper 157

Sounds like you got the major things covered. Should be a reliable runner for quite a while.

Thats my hope! I basically want to get this car to the point where I dont have to worry about anything on it for a long time. For a little while, it seemed like one thing after another was going wrong with it. After 32 years I guess I can expect that, but after this engine job, I hope to eliminate most potential problems 

• 1 month later...

Almost done! Engine is in, hooked up and almost ready to go. Had quite a few issues with the rocker arms and pushrods, but thanks to CrazyEights, all that is taken care of now... I still need to fill the antifreeze and triple check all connections, but once when that is done, then all that is left to do is get a new pitching stopper rod at a pick n pull. 

Crazyeights rocker arm all snug and valves adjusted: post-54976-0-06185700-1469336766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapper 157

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Figured I do a quick update. So the ASV system is deleted, got the new throttle cable in, ( old one broke when I tried to move it to its new location ) started it up and it runs great! Feels so good to have a steady idle again! I'm pulling a solid 16 inches vacuum so that's good. The only thing I have left to figure out is get my brakes all taken care of and then my baby should be on the road again.

Edited by Sapper 157