Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've searched the forums but can't find this issue - I have a 2001 Forester (still going strong w/over 200K - yippee!) that has a CD stuck in the CD player.  It jammed when I was ejecting it and of course, now I can't use my CD player at all.  It shows that there is a CD in it but I can't unload it or load any new CDs.  Basically at this point, the CD player is useless.  Anybody have any suggestions how I can remove the stuck CD?  Thanks in advance!

Susie

Prolly best to remove the unit from your Forester, and open the case inside your home, so you can really get at the CD. Ejection is a mechanical process. Try to see what is preventing the ejection system from working properly.  Otherwise, there isn't much you can do trying to fix this problem outside the case.

Edited by Rooster2

susie,

Usually three things cause this issue in my experience.

The eject switch is dirty and needs its contacts cleaned. Depending on the type of switch used, you may be able to clean the switch with electrical contact spray cleaner (Radio Shack, auto supply stores). To get at it, you'll need to pull the unit from the car and then open the case to remove the front panel circuit board that has the switch on it.

The disc tray drive assembly will be driven either by a motor and some gear sets, one or more of which may be broken. Or it may be driven by a motor driving pulley wheels that have a rubber belt (rubber band) that has broken due to old age. Again open the case to see what you're dealing with.

These last two (broken gear/ rubber belt) will require a visit to an audio repair shop for parts, where they may or may not sell you the parts (take the old belt with you). Of course if you have them repair the unit, they'll supply the parts, but they may refuse to sell them to you otherwise.

Me, I'd tear into the unit, as even if I can't fix it on the work bench with some snooping around for the obvious, it has to come out of the car anyway. Then its off to an auto wrecker for a used CD/radio replacement unit from another Subie. Good Luck!

Edited by gbhrps
  • Like 1