Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been working on my latest project, a 99 outback that I got for 600 bucks with a bad rod bearing.

I got a shortblock from another board member, and haven't looked at it until tonight. I was so excited to get everything all swapped onto the new block that I didn't even think to check the cylinder walls. This is what I found tonight. I scrubbed them up a bit with a scotch brite pad and some oil. This is after the scrubbing:

ozWZhHsl.jpg

RiGRioLl.jpg

5zMcdgBl.jpg

shMd2a0l.jpg

lyVZOEQl.jpg

This is as deep as I have ever been into an engine, and at this point I don't know what to do. The quicker and easier the fix the better, not really wanting to pull the pistons and re-hone. does this need a hone, or is there something else I could try first?

Thanks!

if you dont have to smog it i say run it only realy need to hone it if your installing new rings those rings are already mated to the cylinder worst that will happen is you will get some blow by and burn oil the rust is mostly above the ringlands the rest will go away real fast once that piston starts moving ive run alot of motors in ruff shape like this one 20141114_100218_zpsdlw6sc6a.jpg

just clean it up and run it

Scotchbrite may not be rough enough for steel. Try some fine Emory paper or steel wool. Rub in a crisscross angle pattern. You don't need to remove all of the rust, just make it smooth. The engine will take are of the rest as its running. I've run engines with much worse in the cylinders without cleaning them at all.

Thanks for the input guys, I took it down to a local shop today to get some advice in person. I told him I was leaning towards using some really fine grit sandpaper with lots of wd40. He didn't see a problem with that. I tried as best as I could to do it in an angled crosshatch pattern. Didn't get them sparkling, but they were pretty smooth. At this point I don't really have the time or the money to pursue other routes so this is just gonna have to work. Hopefully it won't run into issues anytime soon.