Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake and throtle body spacers

we had almost a week of rain so instead od finnishing something i started a new project intake manifold spacers and throtle body spacer and started geting a port plan for my heads so this is what ive got so far remeber im working with basic tools no cnc or layth or mills just a sawsal a drill/drill press and hand files more than likly im just waisting my time here but on the off i get more usable torque out of it and dont make any flat spots ill be happy nothing else its been intertaining and cheaper than going to the movies

first a patern

20141205_173127_zpso42r0jh1.jpg

then a chunk of aluminum

20141205_163228_zpsllbg4frl.jpg

• 1 month later...

im putting the finishing touches on my spacers and relized theres more to raising the manifold than just puting spacers in between the intake and heads the manifold needs to be modded to work also ive got a few so i did some cutting and taping some new holes and i think ill just block off the egr port for now till i can get some new line

20150107_182901_zps1ygiadzb.jpg[/url20150107_182847_zpsnlel63cx.jpg

• Like 1

What are you trying to gain here?

The intake has coolant runing through it so you aren't going to make it any colder with spacer......espescially not an aluminium one.

One would want to use Phenolic material of some sort to accomplish that.....but again....there is hot coolant in the whole thing so....

Now if you wanted it to run cooler, tap the back of those intake spacers, put fittings in them for the coolant and cap the upper side where the intake would bolt on........removing the coolant from the intake manifold.

it should work the problem is how big should the spacers be if these dont do what i want ill try 1/2" and 1/4 spacers and maybe play with combos but realisticly im plobly just spinning ny wheels but how would i know if i dont atleast try

• 3 weeks later...

i got it all in every thing seems to work i had to raise the throtle cable bracket add a few pieces of hose but its all in and running it is so much smoother the top on my snorlle for some reason rings like a bell at 6 k rpms but it now dose it at 5500 i dont know if that means any thing but im guessing thats the point of peak airflow

20150127_103136_zpsythtfpkf.jpg

20150127_103146_zpsmvk8xwl7.jpg

20150127_103155_zpst8omyzgn.jpg

20150127_103214_zpsh2blho6h.jpg

20150127_103239_zpsoxf4bm4c.jpg

20150127_103243_zpszij8vkfl.jpg

• Like 1

i dident have time before i leave to test on the stock motor i went ahead and installed it with the ported heads and i only drove it to the gas station and back and honistly with every thing i did there is little if any gains but i advanced the timing some more which should give me a little more pull if nothing else its alot smoother ill know more after i drive it a bit

so i installed my custom exhaust and it seems to be the missing link i can now do second gear take offs with out boggin out i think im gona have to play with my exhaust a bit if going a little bigger in the exhaust made that much differance then maybe going alot bigger will make a bigger differance i dident notice much with just the exhaust on the stock motor set up im also planing on playing with the trotle body spacer size and see if that has any affect on the over all pull

• 4 weeks later...

I would have the spacer welded for the throttle body to the manifold with a very generous fillet, That way you could then put a nice radius into the runners to aid flow aiming to have the most volume possible to the heads and then a nice tapered port area opening up just past the valve guide area into a good pocket port style of porting .

After all without a Ram type 4 port conversion with normal EA 81 heads they have that horrible port that starts in the middle and goes out to the Inlet valves in a stretched "S" shape unlike the much nicer reversed valve Twin carb EA 81 S motors where the Inlet valves are in the centre.

i like there spacers i wish i would have seen them before i made mine mi throtle body spacer is a 1/2 larger on the manifold side and the manifold it self has been opend up and rounded off as far as i could reach i was realy worried about having to much air in there and getting flat spots on exceleration i figured i added alot more air volume to the manifold and i had no idea of what would happen i do like the results though it did take about 50-100 miles for the computer to adjust though it almost wouldent run at first after 5 min it idled smooth as glass but it took awile to get the drivability back now i cruse at less then quarter throtle even at 80 in 5th gear up hill with 29-30" tires as soon as i get some energy up ill reinstall my lsd rear end and get some more pulls on you tube it wont launch in 2wd it just hops around even with a extra 150lb winch hanging off the front it still wont get any traction i spend alot of time i in different subis i got to do a 500 mile road trip in a brand new off the show room floor crosstrech ive had to drive the 2015 toyota wrx through city trafic at rush hour with the owner of the car going come on go faster the 05 outback xt 98 outback 2000 impeza outback sport a 2000 2.2 swaped forester a ej 18 impreza this ea82 set up performs beter than the ej 18 and right at par with the 2.2 swapd forester even with its 4.44 gears it almost puls as hard as the outback sport at some point i want to set up a drag with the 2.2 forester 0-60 i think i can hang in low ranger till about 40-45 after that im sure the forester will walk away from me but would be fun just to see dont get me wrong im not saying the ea82 is anywhere close to a 2.2 but in a ae82 body the ea82 can get close to the power to wait ratio of a 2.2 ej bodyed rig something is telling me these motors can make decent power if i can get to this point with it im sure someone who knows there isht could realy wake this motor up

• 11 months later...

A little update Ive been having a hard time dialing this set up in mostly because i used what was laying around I realized I mismatched my lifters I have some old style and some newer style in the same head one of the old style lifters is completely collapsed totally stupid mistake on my part but hay it was only a test engine anyway lol I'm having some idle issues also when its hot it also seems to be running warm even with a extra fan but this thing pulls I have so much more low end its crazy I climbed a few hill I thought where gona stall it out but it lugged up them at 1200rpms it just wouldent stall out there where hills I went up before that needed full throttle to just make up this trip I was only using half throttle and could spit rocks/sand at will I spent most of the time around 2000 rpms and the motor was loving it I am afraid the lower end is giving up though so I'm gona start a short block build here some day maybe have the block board out 20 thousanths and get some new pistons if money permits I keep thinking of just ej swaping it and being done with it but I'm not done playing with the ea82s yet even if its not in this rig there good motors for tinkering around with