Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intercooled folks..

Oh it's not that stuff got in, because, yes, you did tape it up :). I just figured since it was used it's probably got a little bit of deposits inside it. I haven't installed it yet though. I will let you know when I do however. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I am about ready to install that IC. I noticed that there is a short hose that goes to the bottom of the factory "intercooler" and connects to the thermostat and temp sensor unit. So my question is, what does that hose do, and do I need to connect it to the IC somehow? Thanks!

Okay. I am about ready to install that IC. I noticed that there is a short hose that goes to the bottom of the factory "intercooler" and connects to the thermostat and temp sensor unit. So my question is, what does that hose do, and do I need to connect it to the IC somehow? Thanks!
thats for the cold idle, it needs to be plumbed in somewhere behind the maf..

Yep, MASS AIR FLOW. Its a sensor that tells the ECU how much air is entering the engine. The idle control valve needs to be plumbed in somewhere between the MAF and the throttle body.

I believe a stock WRX or STi TMIC will do just fine for anything...short of a VF34 or VF22 running something like 20+ PSI. Ive got a stock WRX TMIC, and one of those hood scoops like calebz has waiting to go on. Its a WRX imitation scoop...can be found on ebay sometimes. Cost me $15. :banana:

the MAF is the guy right off the air filter housing.

btw any one want to get rid of a wrx IC for trade of a proven VW intercooler set up?

the new turbo set up I am going to run will not work with this IC. it works great with a stock turbo though. definatly requires hood mods. I might let the hood go with IC as a pair as it already has a scoop made for it. oh and I plumed the idle control hose directly to the IC.

I plumbed the idle control hose directly to the IC.

As did I. On the RX7 IC, theres a spot for it there already.. Just run a hose from the AAV to the IC(provided your IC has a small vaccum fitting or 2 coming off of it) and you're good to go..

hey i almost topmounted the saab 9k intercooler i have... but the size of the scoop needed to make it work correctly would have been hideous

.. and yes the 9k intercooler will fit int he spare tire area... barely :)

glad i won't be using a maf soon :)

Cool. Thanks guys. That IC I got from 88 has what looks like two small vacuum fittings, but they seem to be plugged? Can you confirm this, 88? I am wondering if you used those or if you patched it in somewhere else. Thanks again!