Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof Racks for Loyales

What about the old style Thule or Yakima roof racks? They just attach to the gutters. Or you looking for a newer style "factory" look? I could show some pics of what I have but I'll have to wait for daylight. I did remove the trim to expose the gutter for installation.

What about the old style Thule or Yakima roof racks? They just attach to the gutters. Or you looking for a newer style "factory" look? I could show some pics of what I have but I'll have to wait for daylight. I did remove the trim to expose the gutter for installation.

I prefer something that doesn't require hole drilling. But I also want a sturdy one where I can mount lights and carry the spare tire on the roof. Some pics would be great.

Damn...This hot rod Subarus are pretty cool :) ! I have a Yakima rack for my '88 and it works nice. Only problem with it is the stupid ends of the plastic covered pipes are rusting out. Not sure if you can get replacements, though.

Edited by subaru1988

This if you want it to look factory. If it's to long cut it down a few inches.

00n0n_eJb9H7mccnx_600x450.jpg

00t0t_7iZXccMu1aP_600x450.jpg

If you don't care if it does't just go with a set of rails and a roof basket

lfsub.jpgqwHQFBg.jpgchrisssubie005.jpg

The Yakima style is what I am after.  Do folks usually buy them new, from the J/Y or craigslist? How much should I expect to pay for such a rack?

If you've got a mig welded just drive around a college dorm area and look for thrown out cheap metal futon frames.

Chopped and welded these make EXCELLENT roof racks.........thin wall not too heavy but strong enough to support 1 or maybe 2 (giggity) people and a little recreation.

Still need crossbars to attach to gutters, but they can be had pretty cheap at Goodwill, Play it Again Sports, or Craigslist.

@ GLoyale

Found it funny that you mentioned. "Play it again Sports".

Previous owner of my '85 BRAT used some hockey pucks from there as spacers for the front lift .

I removed them, but found it quite ingenious for them to do so, even if it wasn't "proper" to do so.

I think our cars are twins. Did you have to drill holes? Also where did you get the trunk rack.

The luggage rack on the trunk is factory on the car new

all I did was just paint it black instead of the chrome and for the roof rack I didn't really drill holes I use self drilling sheet metal screws with a little bit of silicone so it doesn't leak

For those interested in a DIY roof rack there are Quick N Easy mounts available. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/minicab/16096945962/

I always planned to replace the wood with a piece of square tubing and paint everything black. I was lucky enough to find the feet 2nd hand so they were cheap. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/minicab/15475353464/in/photostream/

post-22035-0-85092200-1419611909_thumb.jpg

The luggage rack on the trunk is factory on the car new

all I did was just paint it black instead of the chrome and for the roof rack I didn't really drill holes I use self drilling sheet metal screws with a little bit of silicone so it doesn't leak

I would not trust it with any real amount of weight.  Those sheetmetal screws will pull out eventually.  Hopefully I'm not behind you when it happens.