Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 EJ22 into a 2003 Legacy

I have a 2003 Legacy sedan that had a ej251. The engine was removed when I got the car. I bought a 2001 ej22 out of an Impreza to install in the 03 Legacy.  It looks like the intake manifold wiring harness on the ej22 is different than the harness on the car that the manifold wiring harness plugs into.

What intake manifold/wiring harness do I need to get for the ej22 that will bolt onto the engine and fit the cars wiring harness.

a 2001 EJ22 intake manifold plugs right into the EJ25 vehicle.

are you positive the EJ22 intake manifold won't plug into the vehicle wiring harness?

are you positive it's a 2001 EJ22?  maybe someone mis-informed you?  can you post a picture?

you need to swap drivers side cam gear and crank sprocket or verify they are the same.  there are two styles.

i'm not sure the intake harness will plug in.

but i'm not sure it will not either.

plus i think the 03 needs EGR, or something.

but the 03 intake will bolt right on to your 01 heads.

if there is an EGR pipe that went from the 03 intake to the 03 head,

and since the 01 ej22 does not have EGR,

you can use the workaround to make the ECU happy.

it is if you need to have EGR.

and as gary said, swap the driver side cam sprocket and the crank sprocket.

Edited by johnceggleston

I don't have any parts from the 03 3j251 engine . I have the 01 ej22 engine in the top pic that's going into the 03 Legacy in the bottom pic . The bottom pic is looking under the hood at my 03 Legacy sedan that the ej251 was removed from before I got the car. The 03 Legacy is a manual trans car and the 01 ej22 cam out of a Impreza  with automatic trans.  

Got engine from private party in Seattle. I've been involved with quite a few ej25 dohc to ej22 sohc swaps in 96 to 99 legacy wagons. I bought this car with its partial dismantled original 2.5sohc engine. Basically the guy I was working with took that engine as a core along with $800 from me, to get another 2.5 sohc engine and then disappeared.

It does look like the grey and brown wiring harness female plugs on the ej22(top pic) fit the grey and brown wiring harness male plugs on the 2003 Legacy (bottom pic). However the wiring harness on the 03 Legacy has three other plug coming out of that harness.

I'm assuming they are for the crank, cam and knock sensor.

What's my best strategy to get the 01 ej22 into the 03Legacy sedan. I know I need a flywheel. The 01 ej22 was an automatic trans  car and the 03 Legacy is a manual trans car. Do I need to find an 03 ej25 intakemanifold/ harness and an 03 drivers side cam sprocket and cranks sprockets to make the 01ej22 this swap?

ahh...no intake manifold eh?

intake manifolds are easily removed in the vehicle - so swap the drivesr side cam sprocket and crank sprocket, drop the engine in, plug it in and see what happens.

if it's not working out then remove the intake and install an EJ251 intake manifold - it bolts right up to the Phase II EJ22.

Thanks for your help. I'm over my skill level on this project.

That's sounds like the way to go so far as getting an 03 ej251 intake manifold/harness if the current one doesn't hook into the 03 Legacy harness.However I don't understand what is meant by swapping the drivers side cam and crank sprocket.

I know there is a sprocket on the crank shaft behind the crank pulley and I know where the cam sprockets on each cam shaft. What am I supposed to swap.

I have no parts from the ej251 engine to swap onto the ej22.?

you don't understand what is meant by swapping the cam and crank sprocket?  what do you mean you don't understand?  you're doing an engine swap - surely you can swap one sprocket!

swap the drivers side cam sprocket:

1. remove sprocket

2.  install other sprocket

same for crank sprocket

there are two different style trigger marks on the cam and crank sprockets - to verify you have the correct one it's generally advisable to swap them so you keep the crank/cam sprockets TO THE VEHICLE (even if you swap engines).  this is true EVEN if you install another EJ25 - they can vary as well.

since you don't have the pulleys you'll have to try the EJ22 and see if it works or otherwise try to narrow down which pulleys you need and get them. 

All I have is the 01 ej22 engine which has one crank sprocket one crank pulley and one cam sprocket on the front of each head.  I don't have the ej251 engine, I don't have any parts from the ej251 engine. Your correct I don't understand what I'm swapping.

Okay were finally getting somewhere. Do I just need to put on a 03 ej251 drivers side cam sprocket, or do I need to put on a 03 ej251 drivers side cam sprocket and a 03 ej251 crank sprocket, or do I need to put on both 03 ej251cam sprockets and the 03 ej251 crank sprocket.

Why do I need to change any sprockets on the 01ej22 in the first place.

My only experience with swaps is 96 to 99 Outbacks. There is no cam/crank swapping involved. You pull out the ej25 dohc and put in the ej22 sohc. The only thing I've had to change is, adding or removing the egr depending whether  the car getting the ej22 was automatic or manual transmission.

My lack of understanding is, what's  the purpose of pulling off the 01 ej22  cam and crank sprockets and putting on 03 ej251 cam and crank sprockets. I do know about Car-Parts I've bought many parts from the wrecking yards on their website.

at some point around 01 - 02, subaru change the design of the sprockets they put on the engines.

i don't know why.

the sprockets trigger the cam and crank sensors,

and the computer MUST see the info it is looking for,

or the engine will not run.

so in short the sprockets must match the computer.

you need to swap the driver side cam sprocket,

and the crank sprocket.

Edited by johnceggleston

Do I just need to put on a 03 ej251 drivers side cam sprocket, or do I need to put on a 03 ej251 drivers side cam sprocket and a 03 ej251 crank sprocket, or do I need to put on both 03 ej251cam sprockets and the 03 ej251 crank sprocket.

swap the drivers side cam sprocket:

1. remove sprocket

2.  install other sprocket

same for crank sprocket. 

you need to swap drivers side cam gear and crank sprocket or verify they are the same.  there are two styles.

there are two different style trigger marks on the cam and crank sprockets

Edited by grossgary

By the way I wrote "were finally getting somewhere" what I meant  was, finally  I'm getting somewhere in my understanding the problem. I didn't mean to imply you guys weren't explaining things correctly. Thanks for sticking with me.

• 3 months later...

Bump. 

How did this conversion turn out?  I have done several of the earlier 2.2 into 2.5 DOHC (Outbacks) but haven't done the Series II EJ22 into a 2000 or newer Outback.  I happen to have a 2003 at the shop that I was going to put a motor in tonight for my brother in law and the ebay engine he bought is a EJ25-POS complete with a smashed oil pan, broken thermostat housing and leaking from about everywhere it possibly could including the head gaskets.  I have a 1999 Legacy Brighton with the Series II EJ22 sitting on the lift with 130K on it and dry as a bone underneath.  I'm trying to convince him to do the swap but he's hesitant.  I know the Series I EJ22 is a bulletproof, very popular swap but what would the advantages of the Series II EJ22 be over the EJ25?  I deal mainly in Legacy Outbacks and don't really have a lot of experience with the Series II EJ22 engines.  They are interference so they don't have that going for them.  Are the head gaskets less prone to the leaks of the EJ25 in the 2000 and newer Outbacks?  I currently have 2 of these sitting here at the shop and would love to put them to work.  Thanks for the info. 

Thread Highjack in process.  :)

yep, run them.  i don't see very many of them, but i've never seen a Phase II EJ22 headgasket leak.   they're certainly no worse than an EJ25 in regards to headgaskets.  they could only be an improvement.

1997-1998 EJ22's are also interference, so that's not a Phase II specific disadvantage.

plug and play, super easy.

1. exhaust manifolds are single port so you need a single port EJ22 exhaust

2.  swap the crank sprocket and drivers side cam sprocket (as mentioned 17 times above) - which IMO it should be getting a new timing belt and pulleys and oil pump resealed anyway so it's no extra work.

3.  on Phase II's you can swap Ej22 and EJ25 intake manifolds (unlike earlier Phase I Ej22 Ej25 swaps you've done).

OK, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I don't see any way that the 2.2 is going to work for you.  Nobody (AFAIK) has ever done that swap successfully.  (Maybe Gary knows something I don't.)  There are just too many electronic differences.  Plus, I don't believe there is any difference in the crank/cam sprockets on the '99-03 EJ22 engines which are the real Phase II EJ22s. (If my memory is faulty, then the following info is the same for them.)  That issue began with the '99 EJ25 SOHC in the Forester.

The cam/crank sprockets come in two sets which always match up.  They are either 6/7 or 24/2.  The numbers refer to the number of reluctors on the sprockets.  6 on the crank and 7 on the cam OR 2 on the cam and 24 on the crank.  These present themselves thus:

Cam sprockets: raised bars on the back of the sprocket.  There will either be 2 or 7.

Crank sprockets: "teeth" which sit flush with the block (not  the surface the belt rides on).  There will either be 6 irregularly shaped or 24 smaller, even "teeth".

So, if you manage to find an EJ25 with the manual oil pump and bracket, whichever set of sprockets it has, grab the other set as well (I'm assuming junkyard here) so you can swap them if necessary. 

Edited by ccrinc

The other plugs have nothing to do with the manifold. Manifold plugs are the large grey and brown and those will plug in just fine.

The grey 3 pin plug I think is the front 02 sensor, speed sensor I think is the one with the orange in the connector, and the grey and red/brown are for neutral and reverse light switches on the trans. Those are the harness ends so the switches are either gone or unplugged and hanging down on the other side of the trans where they come from.

OK, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I don't see any way that the 2.2 is going to work for you.  Nobody (AFAIK) has ever done that swap successfully.  (Maybe Gary knows something I don't.)

Yes it does work! it's actually very easy.

Items #1 and #2 mentioned in that last post are the only issues and they both have easy work arounds as stated.

Read my last response to see how it's done, i'm not guessing or making that up.

• Like 1