Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just picked up a 2000 legacy L (add #2 to the stable!), the only major problem with it so far are the brakes are shot.

I get a noticeable steering wheel shake about 35mph, and when braking, the wheel shakes a LOT, and i get some pedal pulsing..

So I pulled the front rotors, not even sure i should bother getting them checked, they measure about 24mm thick (says 22mm min). The backs are at about 9.5 (8.5mm min). Any thoughts if i should get the backs cut and just replace the fronts?

Anyone have any preference between bendix/raybestos/napa-united? For the price OEM doesn't get me any benefit...

Apparently the car had a "midas job" done last summer, yippee. The pads still look new and aren't grooved or anything, would there be problems with keeping the pads?

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get this on the road in the next few days.

--Nick

New rotors on the front for sure. New pads all round. You will kick yourself if end up with problems in the near future, related to pinching the pennies and sticking with old pads.

If the brakes shudder badly, the pads have been cooked.

Wish I could upgrade to wrx rotors/calipers.. but I've only got 15" wheels, so I don't think they'll fit. Ah well.

Yea they shudder alright. Thanks for the suggestions, might as well do it right so I don't have to do it again.

Anyone try ceramix pads? Napa has them for the front, they're like 25$ more than metallics..