Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which model/years have 14" wheels that will replace my 13"?

Hi friends, I have an 86 gl wagon; it has the original 13" 4 lug wheels and I would like to get 14".  What vehicle has the 14 wheel that will fit?  Any advise about switching the speedometer cable to accomodate 14's will be welcome.

Edited by 2Cor6.9-10

Well Here is some helpful info for you 2Cor6.9-10 (don't forget to read 1 Cor. 6.9-11 as well):
After some time google searching you'll find that subaru doesn't offer a 14" 4 lug but after more time searching you find Peugeot wheels fit though they are impossible to find.  After more search time you'll find that some recommend a six lug redrill to fit japanese 4x4 wheels with a 6x140 pattern w/ a 24mm offset while others say the cost of axles is to cheap to bother so they recommend an axle swap.  With some more internet searching you'll find that an axle swap is complicated and costly so you may want to stick 13" tires.  With more time searching and calling you'll also find that wider tires only increase traction on dry pavement, they may decrease traction in snow or wet conditions.  Having been where you are and aquired the information that folks like you want, I'm glad I could save others like yourself hours of searching.
http://offroadingsubarus.com/superlite_brumby_wheels.html
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/47998-5-lug-conversion-list-plus-tips/

Ummmm.... I saw several 14" rims in the link you provided.

There is no stock 14" Subaru 4x140 rim. At least that I'm aware of. Aftermarket and other manufactures wasn't the original question.

Edited by l75eya

There is no stock 14" Subaru 4x140 rim. ...

Sorry for correct you, but there were very few 14" Rims offered by Subaru in 4X140.

First they came available chromed 14" for the Fully Optioned EA81 Turbo Wagon, Then 14" were optional on the EA82 Turbo Wagons and Touring Wagons, also for the XT coupe. 

You can see few online photos of old-school Subarus with factory 14" rims, but also you can see those on the original subaru Sales Brochure, under Optional Parts.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 1/7/2015 at 10:12 AM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

First they came available chromed 14" for the Fully Optioned EA81 Turbo Wagon...

Not in the United States.  None of the factory photos, or official documentation that I've seen shows ANY EA81 chassis having factory 14 -in. wheels.

16 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Not in the United States.  None of the factory photos, or official documentation that I've seen shows ANY EA81 chassis having factory 14 -in. wheels.

This is true afaik, however Jackman had made 14" 8 Spoke wheels when the Brat was first being developed. Promotional? Not sure the reasoning behind it... sometimes the display or prototype of new models have larger wheels that what they are sold with...

However finding 14" Jackmans would be like finding hen's teeth...

Don't mean to contradict you Jes, but the wheel you are pointing at I believe to be a 13", as seen on page 3 of the Awesome Old Gen picture thread, under "1982 & 1982 Brat".

Also, Jackman wheels were only made in 13 and 14 inch in 4x140. Have seen custom 15" wheels made for 4x140 that LOOK like Jackmans, but were not the same brand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 7:47 AM, 6 Star said:

Don't mean to contradict you Jes, but the wheel you are pointing at I believe to be a 13" ...

Yes, you're right ... :) ... you're not contradicting me;

I was telling that the 14" chromed wheels "Looked Like" those.

I was searching among the web also on my photo collection, and 

As far as I found, Jackman Wheels came in 4x140 with 13" and 14" rim sizes,

and the 15" size were a especial order that came along a lift kit for the first gen Brat,

available thru certain dealers as special package; I couldn't find the complete info online;

but was something similar to the "Special Editions" that certain Subaru dealers sold in the Past.

I remember clearly to have seen Photos of a mustard yellow 1970's decade Subaru Leone Coupé,

in the HIstoric gen Forum, that had 15" Jackman wheels; but the search button isn't working as it should.

Also, my age old saved web links from the previous system that USMB had, are not working anymore, sadly...

17 hours ago, BEECHBM69 said:

I have some of those teeth currently residing in my attic, still in the original boxes. :D

Dan

Wow. Have laid eyes on 14's before, but never their original packaging.
If it would be at all possible, would be cool if you could post photos of that.

Like collector toys or other items of vintage, they are worth more inside the box still sealed.