Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Forester Won't Start after Changing Alternator

Hey guys, 

Hope you all had a good Christmas. 

Now, on to my problem. The other day my car died, got a jump, and was stuttering all the way home. After a few tests, I realized it was the alternator on its way out. Bought one today and got it bolted up. 

Right after replacing alternators, the engine started up just fine. 2-3 minutes went by and I noticed some smoke from the alternator, so I killed the car immediately. Thinking I had put the belt too tight, I loosened it up a little bit and gave it another go. Nothing. 

I checked the alternator fuse under the hood and it seems to be good (checked visually). I should also add that I forgot to disconnect the battery during this whole ordeal. 

So, basically the engine cranks, starter is working perfectly, but it feels like it is out of gas. Like, exactly that - it wants to start but it simply can't. 

So, any ideas? I hope I didn't fry anything. Its pitch black and about -25 degrees Celsius now so I'll try again in the morning. 

Appreciate the help, 
Ben

EDIT: Also, I just remembered: the smoke from the alternator came immediately after I tried to turn on all the lights, cabin lights, heat (on max), and defrosters simultaneously. I remember seeing the voltage drop from the proper 14V to the alternator-less 12.5V while this was going on. Do you think I could have killed the new alternator then?

Edited by Ben213

from what I've read, many times actually, first thing to suspect would be a rebuilt alternator. If that's what you installed.

If possible, take it and the battery back to the parts store and have them tested.

If they still have your original (and assuming you can be wwithout your car for a few days) you can have your original alt. rebuilt by a local rebuilder - ask around at a 2-3 mechanics' shops and see who they'd recommend.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

from what I've read, many times actually, first thing to suspect would be a rebuilt alternator. If that's what you installed.

If possible, take it and the battery back to the parts store and have them tested.

If they still have your original (and assuming you can be wwithout your car for a few days) you can have your original alt. rebuilt by a local rebuilder - ask around at a 2-3 mechanics' shops and see who they'd recommend.

That's what I'm leaning towards also, but the way I look at it, shouldn't a car start, albeit for not a very long time, without an alternator? 

I second the iacv hose.

Unplug the connector on the alternator and see if it starts. It probably won't, but worth a try.

Need to check fuses and the fusible link in the underhood fuse panel.

Hopefully it didn't over-volt and fry your ECU.

So I disconnected the alternator and it fired right up, no problem.  Kind of weird.... 

I second the iacv hose.

IACV?

So, there we go.  Seems to be a faulty alternator.  although, I'm not completely certain how an alternator causes a car to not start, but anyways.  Gonna drop by a used JDM shop tomorrow and see if they got any alternators.  I've heard that alternators from an '00 Impreza fit the '01 Forester.  Can anyone confirm? 

No kidding?! Have heard of that problem on the older cars but not on anything that new. I guess the same rebuilder is still putting out those crappy voltage regulators.

IACV= idle air control valve. On the older models there was a large hose that went to the IACV. Yours doesn't have that.

Do you have any problems with your cluster on the dash, when you got the alternator checked did it check out as faulty or did it just somehow get labeled as fualty by whoever was testing? Reason I ask is my 2001 forester does sort of the same thing, will crank and crank but doesn't feel like its getting fuel. But my altenator tested out good even though it sounds like a rabbid hamster running in a wheel with 100 marbles falling on it.

Also I'm pretty sure the person who posted the IACV comment did it on this thread accidently, our threads have simmiliar looking titles, he might have gotten confused.

No kidding?! Have heard of that problem on the older cars but not on anything that new. I guess the same rebuilder is still putting out those crappy voltage regulators.

IACV= idle air control valve. On the older models there was a large hose that went to the IACV. Yours doesn't have that.

Yep, swapped out the old alternator for a take-off from an 2000 Impreza and everytthing works perfectly.  Headlights are way brighter now, haha. 

Do you have any problems with your cluster on the dash, when you got the alternator checked did it check out as faulty or did it just somehow get labeled as fualty by whoever was testing? Reason I ask is my 2001 forester does sort of the same thing, will crank and crank but doesn't feel like its getting fuel. But my altenator tested out good even though it sounds like a rabbid hamster running in a wheel with 100 marbles falling on it.

Also I'm pretty sure the person who posted the IACV comment did it on this thread accidently, our threads have simmiliar looking titles, he might have gotten confused.

The problems I got with the dash were prettty drastic.  First, tthe little thermometer (under the tach) didn't work, then everything (speedometer, tachometer, trip meter, etc.) didn't work at all.  Even the dash lights (like the CEL, ABS lightt, hand brake light...) were VERY dim.  As for the alternator, I didn't actually get it tested: I simply unplugged it and cranked and voila, it started right up.  Might be something to try.  

Oh, and thanks about the IACV, it did confuse me a bit!