Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82...5x100 swap questions ;)

Hi. I've been reading alot on the 5x100 swap on a EA82 but I can't find the info I need.

I have a n/a w drumbrakes in the rear and I want to upgrade the brakes and to 5x100. I already know i can modify in easily in the front but I was thinking how to do it in the rear. Where I live it's really hard to come across turbo disc brakes and not even a slight chance getting XT6 parts. Can I somehow upgrade with custom work my drum brakes to impreza disk brakes in the back or do I need to get ea82 turbo disc brake stuff first.

Also if anyone here can source me XT6 rear hubs and trans mounts and ship them I can transfer the money for it and also pay for your troubles ;)

The other thing that was done on a car I bought was having the drums machined down to form a hub that a Impreza style rotor then fits over. Be warned though that this had no locating ring for either the rotor (except via the inside) or the wheel.

Although it wouldn't be hard to machine a groove which a ring is then pressed in and welded.

On this car, the Impreza backing plates were redrilled to suit the 3 bolt style of the EA82 car, though it would be advisable to weld up the old holes first, they're too close to the re-drilled holes for my comfort.

There were also some spacers behind the backing plate to align the caliper to the rotor.

There are a few options with cables. Some choose to use a different lever that pulls forward instead of backwards, but I chose to get custom cables made up. The use the existing handbrake lever (keeping that factory look) & then loop around over the trans to go back down the transmission tunnel.