Ultimate Subaru Message Board

And the cam cap O-ring your talking about, that is on the front of the driver side cam right? Rear cam seal?

And the one on the passenger side is on the back really hard to get to?

Yes the cam 'cap' comes off, on the left hand (driver's side for LH drive vehicles). The o-ring is in there. It can become an oil leak source so it's pretty easy to replace while doing the timing belt and cam seals anyway.

camcap4.jpgcamcap3.jpg

The right hand o-ring is on the back, it can be harder to get to, on my '94 it was easy. It might be easier from underneath the vehicle I'm not sure.

camcap1.jpgcamcap2.jpg

definitely replace both those orings while you're at it.  that rear passengers side one isn't that bad, you can easily get it too.  although if it's dry - heck it's so easy to replace there's really no imminent need to replace.  you know you can do those two bolts any day.

definitely replace both those orings while you're at it. that rear passengers side one isn't that bad, you can easily get it too. although if it's dry - heck it's so easy to replace there's really no imminent need to replace. you know you can do those two bolts any day.

Yeah i can't find those anywhere lol. No auto parts store has them. The passenger side one appears to be leaving a tiny tiny bit, but the drivers side doesn't look like it is at all. I wonder if I should just pass them over for now.

Do you have a dealer nearby? Online the o-rings go for about $2. Or do you have any hydraulic supply places around such as Parker? Or last resort might be something like Grainger.

Nah the nearest Subaru Dealership is like 70 miles away. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if I can get them to mail me out some O-rings and the O-ring for the oil pump also.

On a car this age it's probably your separator plate that is leaking.

Only way to fix is to pull engine and replace with the updated unit.

Til then you'll have to live with the burning oil.

O.

Yeah that's on my to do list also. I know that eventually I will have to put a clutch in this baby as well, I figured when I do that I'll fix the oil separator plate leak.

On a car this age it's probably your separator plate that is leaking.

Only way to fix is to pull engine and replace with the updated unit.

Til then you'll have to live with the burning oil.

O.

Yeah that's on my to do list also. I know that eventually I will have to put a clutch in this baby as well, I figured when I do that I'll fix the oil separator plate leak.

Can anyone tell me if I absolutely have to have to oil pump O-ring to take the oil pump off and tighten the backing plate screws down? Is it absolutely necessary? Or can I get away with not replacing the gasket. It's 10$ at the dealership 70 miles away and they won't ship it to me. I have to drive down and buy it in person.

Of course you don't have to replace them, but as long as you have it apart, you really should.

For the oil pump gasket you can use anerobic sealant like this, the Right Stuff by Permatex, or a rubber gasket.  I used a rubber gasket that came as part of a Fel Pro kit that included the oil pump gasket, the crank shaft seal and the oil pump o-ring.  The entire set is $9.99.  (Don't forget to use a coupon for Adv Auto, which can usually be found with a quick online search.  For example, TRT30 gets you 30% off right now....)

This is the same kit used by Miles Fox in his EJ22 video

. Edited by upnorthguy

Of course you don't have to replace them, but as long as you have it apart, you really should.

For the oil pump gasket you can use anerobic sealant like this, the Right Stuff by Permatex, or a rubber gasket. I used a rubber gasket that came as part of a Fel Pro kit that included the oil pump gasket, the crank shaft seal and the oil pump o-ring. The entire set is $9.99. (Don't forget to use a coupon for Adv Auto, which can usually be found with a quick online search. For example, TRT30 gets you 30% off right now....)

This is the same kit used by Miles Fox in his EJ22 video

Well I would much prefer to replace that O-ring but it's gonna cost me like 30$ on gas (140 miles round trip). That's why i was wondering if I can get away with not replacing it.

I understand the nearest dealer is 70 miles away.  What about an auto parts store as I suggested?  

Advance Auto (part in the link above)?  Napa (same/similar kit is $9.93)? Pep boys ($9.99)? O'Reilly's ($8.99)?

Whatever auto parts store is near you and has a site, search for "crank seal" and that gets you to the Fel Pro kit.

• Like 1

I understand the nearest dealer is 70 miles away. What about an auto parts store as I suggested?

Advance Auto (part in the link above)? Napa (same/similar kit is $9.93)? Pep boys ($9.99)? O'Reilly's ($8.99)?

Whatever auto parts store is near you and has a site, search for "crank seal" and that gets you to the Fel Pro kit.

Yeah I've tried O'Reilly and Napa. Neither had what I needed. All i really need is the oil pump o ring.

rockauto.com they have what u need.    I just did my timing belt.  I have 180k on the car.     I took apart the oil pump and replaced the o ring and gaskets..  guess what.   3 of the screws inside the pump were backing out .    A good ways out.  

Im glad I took it apart and found them  before it failed. I got a felpro kit from rockauto for around 9 dollars.

• Like 1

rockauto.com they have what u need. I just did my timing belt. I have 180k on the car. I took apart the oil pump and replaced the o ring and gaskets.. guess what. 3 of the screws inside the pump were backing out . A good ways out.

Im glad I took it apart and found them before it failed. I got a felpro kit from rockauto for around 9 dollars.

can you link me to the felpro kit? I already have the front cam seals and crank seal. Just need the oil pump O-ring and rear cam seals.

Neat, it looks like even Amazon has that TCS45919 kit http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=TCS45919

I understand the nearest dealer is 70 miles away.  What about an auto parts store as I suggested?  

Advance Auto (part in the link above)?  Napa (same/similar kit is $9.93)? Pep boys ($9.99)? O'Reilly's ($8.99)?

Well I would much prefer to replace that O-ring but it's gonna cost me like 30$ on gas (140 miles round trip). That's why i was wondering if I can get away with not replacing it.

I might have an extra oil pump o-ring and one or two of the cam o-rings that I probably would never end up using that I could give you if that helps. It would be Saturday Jan 17 at the earliest before I would be at the place I have my parts stored. I think I have those parts in there but I wouldn't know for sure until I dig through it.

Edited by porcupine73
  • Like 1

Yeah I've tried O'Reilly and Napa. Neither had what I needed. All i really need is the oil pump o ring.

I know that is all you need, but without going for the 140 mile drive, you should be able to have either Napa or O'Reilly's order that set in for you.  Paying $9 for the kit (oil pump gasket, crank seal and o-ring) will be cheaper than the $30 in gas you said it would take.

The kit that xdeadeye1 is saying he got from Rockauto for $9 is undoubtedly the same kit I'm point you towards.  They have 9 remaining for $5.12 each.  WIth shipping it is probably more than what you'll pay if you get Napa to order it in for you.

I might have an extra oil pump o-ring and one or two of the cam o-rings that I probably would never end up using that I could give you if that helps. It would be Saturday Jan 17 at the earliest before I would be at the place I have my parts stored. I think I have those parts in there but I wouldn't know for sure until I dig through it.

Thank you for the offer, that's really kind of you. Unfortunately I'm trying to get this done this week so it will probably too late by then. I really really appreciate the offer though. Thank you. 

And thank you everyone else for your responses. That's what I love about this forum, everyone is super helpful and there isn't the rudeness you find in other forums. 

I see the Cam seal sets on RockAuto and amazon, but I already have the front cam seals and crank seal coming in my kit, so I was loathe to buy another gasket set that will have them. Though at only 5$ it's kinda hard to lose. The thing that confuses me is none of these kits say specifically Oil Pump O-ring or rear cam seal. And none of them list all the names of the specific seals. 

I was able to get the Oil Pump o-ring and the rear cam O-rings at Napa today. I just had to get a guy who was willing to do some digging through their catalogue. Had to order it in and should be here tomorrow. Thanks everybody for all your help. When I do this job tomorrow or the next day, i'll post and let ya'll know how it went.

• Like 1