Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low budget 15" wheels ~ what do you think of these?

Low Budget 15" Wheels Choices  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do these Rims Looks on my "BumbleBeast" Subaru?

• Too much Bling-Bling! (Ricer)
    • Great choice! ~ (Balance between Usefulness and Looks)
    • Lousy choice (Redneck)

FunkPhotoshops.jpg

As I Wrote Before:

... I continue searching locally, I'll travel to the main cities' Junk Yards, known here as "Yonkers" ... there are many cities, each has some junk yards, but I think that I'll start by traveling with my family to the main cities, starting at the city of San Pedro Sula (over 1.5 million population) nearby the caribbean coast, which has many junk yards, also if I couldn't find those wheels there, I'll go to the twin cities that conforms our capital city (Tegucigalpa & Comayagüela = another 1.5 Million population) nearby the pacific ocean's coast, which also has many junk yards...

(Remember; as usual on my posts, underlined words are web link to interesting photos and more info on the subject:)

Kind Regards.

I went on a Long Travel with my small family, during the past weekend...

Without finding any 240SX set of Wheels. 

Are those too scarce?

Kind Regards.

Despite that I am in "Low Budget Mode" since I lost my Job after fourteen years; from the Money I can make now, by Fixing Cars, Helping on a House Remodel and building custom wooden speakers' Enclosures, among other activities; after paying the monthly bills, I've saved a small amount for purchasing the new Wheels for my "BumbleBeast".

The new wheels are something really needed, beyond cosmetic change, because the used Hyundai Elantra wheels I've been using for a whole year now, are beated and not straight anymore, which wear my Subie's ball bearings faster ... even I can "Feel" how those wheels wiggle side by side on low speeds. I can't afford new wheels, so used ones are my only choice now.

I'll continue Searchin' ... Kind Regards.

Thank you so much.

... Prayers your way friend.

Likewise, my Friend.

After two whole weekends without finding those wheels, the only interesting stories I could share here on the subject, are these:

I found one Lonely wheel like the ones I'm searchin' for, but it was very mistreated and has a bent lip.

The Junk Yard's owner told me that they sell the Aluminium wheels to local Recyclers ... :o ... explaining their scarcity.

Found a Guy with a Complete set of those ... but he said that they're "Priceless" for him for sentimental reasons...

I never imagined that such wheels were so Scarce ... disgustedgu9-1.gif

Definitely I was lucky with the Happenstance of finding the 240SX wheel that I have in perfect shape, since many Years ago, when I was searching for a cheap single wheel to be used for the Spare tire.

I feel for you trying to find wheels. Sounds tough.

I scored a set of 15" for $100 that a mate was going to throw out. Going to go onto my Hyundai race car as I can't get tyres for the 16s anymore.

The 16s might end up on my wagon.

post-8410-0-18395400-1423174648_thumb.jpg

Edited by wagonist
  • Like 1

That small Hyundai Excel "Racing Car" sounds interesting...

which mods have done you to it, to make it a Race Car?

Another Weekend faded away without finding those Rare & Scarce Wheels...

So I started dealing online with a Guy in Texas, USA, found on Craigslist ... :mellow: ...

He wrecked his 240SX and is selling it in parts, I hope I could obtain the wheels,

Cheap enough to let me afford the Shipping & import costs from USA to Honduras.

Good luck. Sometimes you just need patience to find the right thing at the right time.

My "race car" started out as a front damaged car from the auctions for $500 about 8 years ago (you can buy straight ones for less than this now), threw away the interior, stripped the insulation off the floor, spot welded the strut towers (the front LCA mounts are particularly bad on this model as they are cantilevered forwards off the bottom of the firewall only...), fitted rally upside-down coilovers & swaybars. Originally built to fit into a 1 make rally series which allowed no mods to brakes, engine, gearbox, ECU.

I took so long to build it that the rally series started to dwindle, so started modifying it. Bought a crashed 04 Elantra. Fitted the steering knuckles which allowed Mitsubishi EVO III front brakes, also EVO III (actually FTO) rear calipers and their mounting brackets on Elantra rear rotors to delete the rear drums. Mitsi hand brake cables & brake master bolted up directly. Found out from US forums that the front LSD to suit a USDM turbo 4wd Mitsi Eclipse fits the Elantra box, ordered a Quaife torsen, fitted it into the box myself & then fitted that onto the standard engine with some custom (mixed & matched off the shelf items) driveshafts to suit. The box bolted directly up to the engine, but the 2L & 1.5L flywheels have different bolt holes despite being identical in dimensions, so I got that redrilled & rebalanced. Fitted a bolt in cage, which required fitment of harnesses as the main hoop blocked the B pillar mounts.

Plans for this year are to finish installing the 2L Elantra engine from the wreck (which will give a nice 30% increase in power, and finally fit the racing seats I've had sitting around for years.

Kind of wish I'd sold it years ago though. The rear wheel arches are narrow, so I've had problems with the rear tyres either rubbing on the coilover spring, or catching on the outer guard (my new neighbour thought I'd converted it to RWD cos of the black rubber on the rear guards). I can't get it lower so that the handling is better, and Hyundai engines in the past haven't really been built around performance. A Mitsubishi Mirage is much more modifiable and had a racing model from Ralliart.

• Like 1

... My "race car" started out as a front damaged car from the auctions for $500 about 8 years ago ...

Thank you for sharing your Race Car's story.

Also my Wife's car came from an Auction, with a small damage in front;

you can read about that and see photos, ~► Here.

Good luck. Sometimes you just need patience to find the right thing at the right time...

Yes, I hope so...

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I gave the direct web link to this thread, to the Guy in Texas (USA) who has a complete set of those Nissan 240SX aluminium Wheels, and after a couple of e-mails, he very kindly accepted my offer (which was pretty Low), for the four wheels, whose total amount also included the cost for Shipping and Handling on a cheap, flat rate from his house, to my "Virtual Address" in Florida (USA), with an Honduran Cargo & Courier company. That represent the Half of the Shipping and Handling Costs.

Then, I will pay the Shipping and Handling costs from Florida (USA), to one of the cargo & Courier company offices in Honduras (Central America), plus the import fees, upon receival of the Wheels at their countertop. 

I hope that the Wheels really comes in Good Shape, only needing a painting.  Kind Regards.

• Like 2

As I wrote before:

My beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast" has been with me since New, from june 1985; I changed the Lug pattern on it since year 1996, from 4X140 to 4X114.3 to gain easy access to a more variety of Rims; I posted photos and more information regarding that, ~► Here ...

I Redrilled the lug pattern on my Subie since year 1996.

Never had an issue related to that, so far...

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

... Plans for this year are to finish installing the 2L Elantra engine from the wreck (which will give a nice 30% increase in power)...

You want to use a 2.0L engine from the Hyundai Elantra on your Hyundai Excel...

I've seen Elantras with Mitsubishi Engines ... many Hyundais are based upon Mitsubishis

MitsuElantra.jpg

So, these are 15" rims, 6" wide and 40 offset, they're perfect for the old-school Wagon.

All I can tell from checking them now, is that someone gave a ClearCoat paint to them,

Which is peeling off now; also one is missing the mini center cap, which says Nissan...

Maybe I'll remove that center cap from all of them... do you know what could fit there?

This Week's plan is to do a Deep Cleansing and Polishing all them...

Also I'll clean & polish my Spare wheel, which is identical, 

and doesn't have its center cap too...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I like them, they look a lot like the 90's era jdm subaru rims. I would keep them silver, but would have to see it on the car vs the hot yellow paintjob.

Pretty sure subaru wrx caps would fit, like from a 06-07 wrx. They are plastic, I'll measure one for you.

WRX06wheel1.JPG

edit: went and grabbed one of my wrx center caps..

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Edited by Ibreakstuff
  • Like 1

could cut a piece of plexi glass, metal, etc to fit the center.  just epoxy it in.  if it were me Id get the subaru star pattern cut out of something and glue it in.

Thanks for the idea.

I like them, they look a lot like the 90's era jdm subaru rims...

Yes, you're Right.

... I would keep them silver, but would have to see it on the car vs the hot yellow paintjob...

Yesterday I only gave them a good Cleansing with a can of engine degreaser, then Washed them Clean with Household Detergent and Water, they're drying at the sun now. Then I'll polish them 'till remove the clearcoat paint they have.  Those wheels really looks straight and Healthy for their age.  :) 

Maybe I'll let them silver... Don't know exactly how those wheels on silver colour will look, on the Radioactive Yellow Body, but maybe I'll try them like that, mainly because I can Not find here in Honduras, the Plasti Dip paint, and I don't know how durable could be, the Powdercoating on polished aluminium surfaces. 

Could someone share their experiences with Powdercoating on Polished Aluminium, Please?

... Pretty sure subaru wrx caps would fit, like from a 06-07 wrx. They are plastic, I'll measure one for you ... one of my wrx center caps:

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

That's an AWESOME idea!!! Thumbup.jpg

Let me Measure the Nissan ones I have:

Mini%20Center%20Caps.jpg

Measurements.jpg

Thank you for Sharing the Measurements of the Subaru's Mini Center Caps! thumbsup.gif

Do you Believe that Those might Fit good there?

If so, I want to buy a Set!  :D 

Kind Regards.

They look pretty close to me. We could confirm by measuring the actual hole in the wheel.. I'll pull a WRX rim and measure it later today.

Re Plastidip, it will flake off over time, on rims, but you can just keep respraying it. It will help protect rims from rock damage if you have enough layers built up and it can be easily removed. If you buy online it could be shipped too.

You can totally powder coat polished aluminum, but you definitely have to strip that clear coat for a good adhesion. Most would recommend bead blasting or scuffing the surface also.

• Like 1