Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 Brat gas tank fitting

I need help finding a part for my 82 Brat. I am looking for the fitting on the bottom of the tank that you attach the gas line to. There was one on there that I do not believe was stock. I attempted to seal it with a fuel resistant RTV but it started leaking within a few weeks. The one that is in there now is made of plastic. Any ideas?

If your talking about the fuel outlet or the return line the only ones ive seen were welded to the tank. So is there a threaded bung there now? It sounds like a repair attempt. If some one has professionally installed a bung there u simply need to figure out what size n thread it is and hit lowes or a part store for one. If you dont have a bung then someone unprofessionally repaired this tank and its gunna get a lot more complicated. Once upon a time i had seen universal tank taps but im sure a lawsuit or two removed these from our market.

"Only fitting on the bottom of the tank is the drain plug"

I was just thinking that. Perhapse someone used this hole for a repair but who knows what threads it has and what a terrible spot to try to get ur fuel from, even if its not picking up every lil piece of crap from ur tank it is just wating to get snagged by something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. Someone in the past used this as the source for fuel. I will look at it sometime today and figure what the correct location is. There are no threads on the present location. Is there a  diagram that illustrates what fittings are for?