Ultimate Subaru Message Board

if you cannot get the key to turn,

you are probably going to have to replace the entire assembly.

a lock smith MAY be able to pick it and remove the cylinder.

or a bunch of silicone or graphite spray lube MAY free it up.

i assume you have a key that is supposed to work?

Edited by johnceggleston

Pretty easy to change and I've found a bunch at the yards with a key in them.

- Pull the covers

- Drill the two bolts heads off from the top

- Unplug the electrical connectors

You can use normal 12mm bolts to install it.

Re key the door locks if you want them to match.

• Like 1

Well I actually broke part of the key off in the ignition. Since then I have not been able to remove the broken key. I was able to start it a couple of times just by using the other half of the key. Haha of course it stopped working right as I was trying to take out the lock cylinder. I guess since then my main concern was how to remove the headless bolts. I think I will take the advice and drill them, then replace the whole assembly. Thanks for the help!!

• Like 1

Well I actually broke part of the key off in the ignition. Since then I have not been able to remove the broken key. I was able to start it a couple of times just by using the other half of the key. Haha of course it stopped working right as I was trying to take out the lock cylinder. I guess since then my main concern was how to remove the headless bolts. I think I will take the advice and drill them, then replace the whole assembly. Thanks for the help!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.I have a 93 Legacy and I had to change the Ign switch assembly,I went on Youtube and the first video was a guy with a 95 Legacy and he shows a easy way without removing the 2 bolts.I tried it my self and it worked it was very easy.

• Like 1