Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently acquired 2007 Outback; what maintenance, resources?

Greetings!  I have a 2007 2.5i Ltd. with 95K miles on it.  I'm a DIYer interested to learn about what to watch out for on this car, what preventative stuff to do, and what the essential resources are (forums and other sites, parts sites, manuals, ...).

I'm starting with swapping in a new passenger axle (torn boot) and doing a timing belt service (got the axle and a timing belt kit from FCP).

Thank you for any advice!

Best,

Mark 

Thanks, all!  FCP is a parts mail-order supplier who were a reliable source of good parts for my Volvo.  

Unfortunately I already have the new axle, which is a new Empire one.   I do see mixed things about these axles online, so it sounds like rebooting is a better idea.  

Ugh, I see your point.  Yeah, I don't know that it just recently cracked.  It's more likely that it's been months at least.  I guess I'll put in the new axle and see what happens, hanging onto the old one to use as a core or to be rebuilt if need be.

the inner joint is less exposed to dirt than the outer one - and they are robust and rarely fail without some warning, Everything I've read advises to definitely re-use it if possible.

if the outer boot has been open for some time, that's more risky, but might not be not a show-stopper. Also, Febest has joints for sale on Amazon but I have not read of anyone trying them yet.

similar to this; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMA2MN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IDEFQ97CY9SH&coliid=I1JL2WBJ09B8RO

off topic somewhat but, wondering if anyone has tried SurTrak axles? At least one reviewer at Amazon says he has no vibration from it.

http://www.amazon.com/SurTrack-HO-8047-CV-Axle-Shaft/dp/B00DCNNWW0

they appear to be new Chinese. website is trakmotive; https://trakmotive.mycarparts.net/products/TrakMotive%20CV%20Axles-SB-8011?product_application_id=4985682242

If you do not hear any clicking sound when making a sharp turn and accelerating, the CV joints are good.  It usually only takes a week or so from the time the boot tears until the CV joint starts making a clicking sound.  Once it starts making the clicking sound, it is too late to save.

In a parking lot, stop, turn the wheel all the way to one stop, or just short of full stop, then accelerate.  Repeat in the other direction.

Well I put in the Empire axle, and at least at 30mph it's silent so far.   I'll take it on a Bay Area commute tomorrow, so should be able to get it up to 35, 40mph if lucky & will report back once I get it up to speed.

As an aside, the ball joint came out of the knuckle easily for me--just a little rust on it (California, right?).  But I had a bear of a time getting the axle out of the hub. Ended up using a puller, hammering and using a breaking bar on that, and oh-so-gradually it started to budge; from there I just hammered it out.  I think I whaled on the puller so hard I screwed up its threads.  There was a lot of oily, black, grainy crud on the splines. Greased the new one of course.  

Thanks again for all the advice.