Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 DL Black Box, Mystery Wire?

Can someone please explain the function/importance of the small plastic black box mounted on the left kick panel area, it is accessed behind the fuse panel and has a wide white connector with 14 wires (if I counted right). I picked up a DL 4WD wagon, SPFI, manufactured in 01/88. It dosen't run (yet). And there is a yellow wire w/ white stripe fished up through the top left portion of the firewall. Looks like they had it connected to something in the engine bay. Ground? Power? Anyways would like to know if it has anything to do with why the car currently isn't running. I believe it's a spark/electrical issue. Belts are good. Tried starting fluid. And have swapped out both the disty and coil from a running Loyale.  Only trouble code is 21 (temp sensor circiut). Sorry no pics of the box It' hard to see in there!

The wire in question (Ylw/wht) originates from this black box, so why was it brought into the bay? 

post-22035-0-91247800-1423275531_thumb.jpg

post-22035-0-72503000-1423275566_thumb.jpg

Edited by kerandt

I believe it does have CC. Remember seeing some controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Ok probably not the issue then. 

Anyways thanks for the quick replies! Cleaned all the grounds and disconnected the CTS (tested bad), and swapped coil bracket. Car starts and runs for now. Might mess with the wire later to see if the CC works? Thanks again guys.

post-22035-0-45157900-1423435038_thumb.jpg

Edited by kerandt

I installed a turbo halfcut which had it.

14 wires that much actually. When you consider: power, earth, on signal, speedo signal, brake signal, clutch signal, tacho signal, signals out to cruise motor, there's test plug wires, ...

adds up pretty quickly.

never seen a factory cruise in Oz in these, but 14 wires for a cruise control is an awful lot of excess wires surely  ???

Would have been the dealer add on kit for a DL.  Seen several of them actually.

14 wires is an excact match for that system and like I said IIRC, the Yellow/White wire is the tach signal wire should go to coil - neg.