Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 2006 Outback 2.5 XT and the turbo failed. I am looking for alternative options for replacement other than another stock turbo. Would prefer to spend less that what i was quoted for a new turbo from Subaru (approx. $1400 for parts and gaskets + install per my mechanic). While I wouldn't mind a perfomance upgrade I dont want my mechanic to have to do any fabrication or modification to install the new unit. I'm sure there is a great bolt on option, but I just dont know about it. We bought the Outback new, it is all stock, and has 130,000 miles on it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure if the STI turbo will work or not, but I do know that anytime you start changing parts of a turbo system you will need to have the ECU re-tuned to make sure those parts play nice with the rest of the system.

A different turbo can create different boost levels through the RPM range, which will need to be accounted for or severe engine damage will result.

If you think $1400 for a stock replacement sounds expensive, guess what a new engine costs?

If you don't want to spend the money for a whole new turbo, you can often get a new CHRA kit (Center Housing & Rotating Assembly) and reuse the old snail shells from the old turbo.

A new CHRA is much less expensive than an entirely new unit, but will cost extra in labor to have the parts swapped over.

Would prefer to spend less that what i was quoted for a new turbo from Subaru ...............................wouldn't mind a perfomance upgrade

Pick one.

Better stuff costs more.

Just replace it with a stock turbo unless you are doing other mods/tune