Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need advice lifted 95 Legacy LS

foxgap

All,   What I have is a 95 Legacy LS lifted with 07 Forester struts.  I have a clicking noise in the left axle that no matter what axles I have put in it will not go away.  Have not tried a set of factory green axles yet, I am still trying to find a set.  The guys over in the modern Soob section of this forum suggested I get a set of A arm pivots from a 96-99 Outback.  I have a junk 96 Outback in the yard and yesterday started to look for these parts, I cannot find what I would think they look like.  What I did find was 1" spacers between the cross member and frame. What I assume are the pivots are the same as on my 95.  Mind you my Outback is a real early 96, 11/95 build.  This is looking like a real PITA to get these spacers in my 95, longer studs for the brackets and I would imagine new motor mounts also.

Has anyone done this lift and had similar problems?   I understand from the previous owner who is a Soob mechanic that this is a popular swap and really has no problems with it any other time.   I really like the height of the car and would like to keep the struts under it.  Just got to get the angle of the axles correct.

Suggestions or comments?

Thanks,  Mark

It's not as hard as you'd think.

What you need is the following from a proper outback with the "lift"

If your's has the crossmember spacers, it wil work.

Crossmember spacers w/bolt set

Steering coupler

A-Arm pivots (they look similar but are different for outback verse legacy)

May want to get the trans crossmember but won't likely need it.

You do not need different motor mounts.

Thanks,  Are they bolts or studs threaded into a nut on top of the frame rail?  If they are bolts the job should be a snap.  Studs may need a heat wrench to loosen them up to wind them out.  I also have to put the Outback back together after harvesting the correct parts so I can move it around for a little while.  Not roadworthy, just to get it about a mile from the repair shop to my backyard again.

swap the front axles left to right and see if it still does the same thing?

i'd get used Subaru OEM axles.  non-Subaru axles suck terribly. a couple years ago, i installed a new set of axles on my lifted XT6 only because they came with a car I bought - noisey junk axle(s). 

they have no noise on non-lifted XT6 though.

Edited by grossgary