Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Electrical problems, any suggestions?

I have an 88 gl10 turbo sedan, its got 135k on it, 4wd automatic tranny. I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago anyway, I was driving it tonite and the electrical just died, suddenly, not alot of warning couldnt get it started again so I drove my friends car down to where it had broken down, took his battery out and drove my car home on his batt. I am guessing this is the alternator, so I will put in a new one on thursday. Starting this morning my right turn signal would blink really fast like it does when one of the bulbs is burnt out, but all the bulbs worked well, also the radio randomly turned on today, the cruise doesnt work (I dont think that has to do with electrical stuff but it may?), the horn and four ways also dont work. The clock resets every time I start the car and the radio never remembers the pre-sets.

Any thoughts? Could all this stuff be related? I know a bit about workin on the mechanical stuff but I don't know JACK about car electrical systems, any of you guru's out there have any thoughts or opinions? All help is welcomed! Thanks in advance

-Jeremy

I agree the opinion that is a bad ground contact between the engine and the cassis. Check if the main ground cables are in good condition especially the big one between the battery and the alternator. Then check if the cable between the cassis and alternator is optically OK. A bad contact you can suppose if the conector of the wire is oxidated. In fact the simptoms what you are tellin' about are specific of a bad ground contact.

Don't give up!!!