Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with power doors: Can't lock my car (1992 Legacy EJ22)

Hi!

I have a weird problem with my car: I had some battery / power troubles yesterday and therefore the central lock wasn't working. So I unlocked the driver side door with my key and got assist-starting. The other doors unlocked as well as soon as there was power.

The surprise was when I tried to lock the car again: I can't move the key in the lock for locking and the inner power locks aren't working also. I just can't push them. It's like the actuator or something is blocked. And that's the same on all four doors!

So I deinstalled the door panels today and hat a look at the whole thing on the driver side, but I don't really find an issue. It's just impossible to push the actuator down...

Has anyone an idea what's going on? I have the keyless entry system id that's somehow related to that issue. Fuses are all ok and I also tried to unplug the actuator, also with no luck.

Thanks!

Stefan

Do you have the same problem with the battery disconnected? Have you pulled the fuse(s) for the power door locks?

It sounds like the lock solenoids are being powered all the time, which will eventually cause them to burn out, and will drain your battery. It might be best to leave the battery disconnected.

There is a switch in the drivers door either on the latch assembly or on the key cylinder that commands the locks when the key is turned. If that switch is jammed or broken it may command the locks to the unlock position and hold them there.

Edited by Fairtax4me

That was my first idea: disconnect the battery and the locks work again. But it doesn't work... Same behaviour regardless of the battery connected or disconnected. That's the weird thing I don't understand...

I will have a look at that switch later and I will also look for the keyless entry control unit, I read some postings on the internet that it could cause such trouble.

If they are still jammed even wih the battery unhooked then all 4 lock actuators are probably hosed from being powered into the unlock position and never turned off.

Remove all 4 door panels and disconnect the linkage rods from the actuators, and unplug the actuators if you can. If you feel up to removing one of them maybe you can see if defrosting it will make it work again. (Maybe they're just frozen?) Otherwise, I think you'll be replacing 4 lock actuators along with whatever caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks! I will pull one of those actuators tomorrow and play with it. Then I will see if it's really damaged. I hope it's getting warmer... There's no frost but pretty cold just above the freezing point. Not the best weather to make something outdoors...