Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T ignition timing

Guest Wagon Wagon

Guest Wagon Wagon

Hey guys, I had the distributor off on my 87 turbo the other day. One of my idiot friends, of course, grabbed it and spun the gear. I stuck it back in the car, and it still started up and idled OK, seemed to rev OK too, didn't think anything of it.

Now that I drove it it seems a little sluggish and is also pinging. Leads me to believe that the distributor is NOT timed properly. How should I go about timing it? Never had a distributor out before, so this is kinda new to me.

Guest GlCraigGT

Since it's in and the engine is running, you atleast have it close enough that you can adjust it without having to pull it back out. What you need to do is buy, borrow or steal a timing light. Hook it up and check the timing, then adjust it until it's to spec which I belive is 25deg BTC for a turbo.

Steve the power of the Pleiades was with you!!

One small?? item Craig failed to mention,

on the EA82T the green connectors beside the ECU (under the parcel shelf pass side) <span style="text-decoration:underline">must</span> be connected. You have a CAS* dist. and you must tell the ECU you are setting the base timing.

22 to 25 BTDC is correct

also

The idle switch must also be closed - this is located in the TPS** and is kinda automaticly closed if the throttle cable is adjusted so some small slack exists at idle.

* CAS Crank Angle Sensor

** TPS Throttle Position Sensor

Hope this helps

Guest OH Noah

I agree that a timing light would work best at this point, since it is running. You'll know you're a tooth off if you can't turn the disty enough to set the timing correctly.