Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission

I had transmission fluid leak into transfer case fixed.But when they put it back together it is stuck in 4 wheel drive and they don't know how to get it out of 4x4 .I need someone who know's GL transmissions.I cannot drive it like that all the time......

Edited by used car

they stick some times if the 4wd shifter works at all try driving back wards in a straight line mine usaly lets go after 20 feet or so some times i just go back and forth in the drive way with light pressure on the shifter till it lets go it commin on alot of tcases

the transmission shop i took it to cannot get it to go out of 4 wheel drive The 4x4 button on the shifter broke 6 months ago and was replaced with toggle switch.It worked good until they took it apart recently and will not go out of 4x4.The tranny shifts good and everything I dont want to have to pay for another one.... Need your help......

Edited by used car

Glossgary,Thanks for your time. Yes they removed tranny from vechicle and replaced 3 or 4 seals to stop transmission fluid leak into transfer case.Well it stopped it but when they put it back in, it was in 4wd and would not come out.So this transmission shop took it out of car again and could not find the cause.So they put it back in and told me i needed new transmission.They say they did nothing wrong but it worked just fine before they worked on it.They will not make good on it. 4wd indicator light on dash works when i hit toggle switch but it does't go out of 4wd. I ended up removing rear haft of drive shaft so rear wheels are'nt engaged.Still isn't that hard on the transmission to run it like that? Need your help!

if the transmission has been disassembled and reassembled and we have some he-said-she-said going on - it's going to be very hard to diagnose over the internet.

if a transmission hasn't had any 4WD issues for decades and then gets taken apart and won't go into 4WD - then yes - something was done wrong.

the SIMPLE test is to simply move the lever on the passengesr side of the transmission by hand and see what happens.  if nothing happens then you know something with that lever mechanism wasn't reinstealled properly.

you can run indefinitely in 2WD without issue, it will not hurt the transmission.