Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY wheels spacers, Free!

Carl B.

Here is a cheap and easy way to gain clearance for wider tires on your Subie.  These come out to about 8mm (5/16").  As with any wheel spacer only use them if you have long enough wheel studs to safely mount your wheels.

Go to your local Subaru or import mechanic and ask for trashed brake rotors.  You should be able to get them for free.

IMG_20150210_132024_236.jpg

Then cut out the front of the hub, clean up with a grinder, slide spacer on, and remount your wheels.

IMG_20150210_132301_722.jpg

*ONLY USE WHEEL SPACERS IF YOU HAVE LONG ENOUGH WHEEL STUDS* 

Edited by Carl B.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Actually have never thought of this... color me impressed. As fair as the wheel stud length goes, you should be able to get some with the same knurl diameter and thread with more length... might take some poking around online or at a parts store, but they're out there I'm sure.

Yeah longer studs are available.  I wanted to put those warnings in there so some fool doesn't do this and loose a wheel and kill someone.  The SAE recommends you have a minimum thread engagement of the diameter of the wheel stud.  So on most Subies thats 12mm.

• 8 months later...