Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MPFI head revisions - Gen1 Gen2 Gen3? Try Gen8+

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the explanation for all these casting numbers Having Worked for Kawasaki, What few people realise is that in Japan for many decades production has run on the JIT basis (Just In Time) meaning the parts arrive just in time for assembly unlike the old days of manufacturing where many bins of stock sat there for the picking by the assembly line.

That is why now people restoring the old Kawasaki Z1 900 can buy Exhaust Systems and Fuel Tanks and Panels from the Original suppliers to Kawasaki with the only difference being no Kawasaki part numbers are to be found like the original product supplied under contract, Similar has occurred with the Honda CB750 and it possibly will occur with some Car subcontractors if they were lucky or smart enough to keep the production dies or jigs to remanufacture what they once did as a subcontractor, Those particular Contracts long being finished and void allowing remanufacture of all but perfect replacement replica's.

Now where this gets interesting is a little known fact that much actual Parts manufacturing for major manufacturers takes place in the back street shops of small subcontractors with the Factories using a number of subcontractors to ensure any issues with supply are circumvented by having two or more sources supplying if not identical parts then parts made to a certain specification, This is why sometimes the casting marks actually signify either the subcontractor or in some cases the location of one of the manufacturers own factories where production took place.

In the case of many Manufacturers such as say Toyota there are differences in the Vin Number to signify which Plant manufacturing took place in not just whose vehicle it was, Not as stupid as it first seems when considering somebody with zero Vehicle empathy may just work in a Government department on a vehicle safety recall then all the numerical codes make sense, Such as the current Airbag Recall World wide where production numbers and plant or subcontractor responsible is traceable through part numbers and casting numbers to narrow down the search for affected units.

When you learn how to decipher the numerical codes then it helps to identify the better parts options just as with the EA 82 heads, Or even things like the correct Distributor with the Mechanical and or vacuum advance that is most desirable having figured out the part number on the body for the right one, That is what you look for.

Edited by coxy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for confirmation Karhu. So it would appear there are 2 different TK8 EDM heads, one underlined (gen2) and one boxed (gen3).

I ended up coughing up the dough for Drischnie's heads, when they arrive I'll put some valves in and CC the combustion chamber. Then we can compare it to the USDM spec heads (which I think are around 39cc in the heads). I have a piece of plexi with a hole drilled for that.

Found a set of TK8 heads without underlining or box in the EA82:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd09sxqpf0n9v75/2015-06-13%2020.52.42.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbb5t2yyeu4atuf/2015-06-13%2020.52.51.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwcie1s4qxmr6po/2015-06-13%2020.53.04.jpg?dl=0

Obviously the above links shows photos of:

TK2 - third Gen Heads,  and

TK7 - Third Gen Heads, also

That clearly means that the Differences between the TK# numbered heads, are related to the Different Markets' Specifications, where those EA82's were Sold, mainly based on their different Contamination and Fuel Consumption Regulations, etc.

Based on that, then the TK# are not an indicative of older or newer Design; and thus explains the differences on Combustion Chambers.

In example: Not all countries required Catalytic Converters and the rest of the related Bullsh¡t; and those, are countries that got the More  "Powerful versions of that Subaru Models from that Era.

Kind Regards.

Re:  sitting in the dining room (my wife hates me)

My first wife hated my Ford Zephyr heads in the bedroom. I'd wake during the night and couldnt see the harm in polishing the ports. Suppose the electric drill was a little loud. My second wife told me after 10 years "its the trike or me......I bought the trike. Was such a stupid move to give me a choice. My current wife loves me totally. Doesnt mind car parts on the lounge room floor, pin up pics in the bedroom of valves and lobes and loves the sound of a throbbing ea engine. Nope....I dont believe her 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TK9 Gen3, Flat valve bridge but its been reco'd so I suppose a valley could have been filled...

TK9%20Gen3%20c_zpswahtjhjb.jpg

TK9%20Gen3%20a_zpscbwva839.jpg

TK9%20Gen3%20b_zpsody5m9ol.jpg

TK4 Gen1, Flat valve bridge but its been reco'd so I suppose a valley could have been filled...

TK4%20GEN1%20a_zpsop6ed0hn.jpg

TK4%20GEN1%20b_zpsmp7tb1aa.jpg

TK4%20GEN1%20c_zpsketuhedw.jpg

I found this pretty interesting...

TK420GEN120a2_zpsfwykftay.jpg

TK920Gen320c2_zpst9wuzrun.jpg

Edited by nncoolg

• 1 year later...

Anyone know where the user Ibreakstuff, starter of this thread, is?

he bought my EDM heads in 2015 and then he has no new posting here...

the last message i got from him was on april 27th in 2015 as the heads arrived him in San Francisco:

"I'll try to measure the combustion chamber volume this week."

Edited by drischnie

• 2 years later...