Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gearbox build question

G'day all,

I'm reassembling my gearbox after changing some gear sets.

When I get the front cases together I can easily select 1st through 5th, but cannot fully select reverse, it'll only go half way without any gear engagement.

Is this normal, as in should I just assemble and know it will work once back in the vehicle or is there something else at play here?

I'm out of ideas and have now had this box split three times!  NOT FUN!

Regards

Bennie

i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get reverse. id say check over youre linkage/fork for bends. and whatever relates to reverse gear on   counter or/cluster gear . and reverse idler gear for chips and wear. make sure nothing is binding, and rotates without having to force it. just going off the top of my head, never had one of these apart but i have done a few others. find out what only relates with reverse gear and go from there. sorry i couldnt be more help!

Edited by SoobDood05

Found out today with my own gearbox, make sure the main shaft is pushed hard into the casing. Without the transfer case and that 3/4 retaining ring the shaft pushes out and that can cause problems. Might not be that, but I had trouble with it today.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks fellas,

I found the issue.  There are changes in the reverse gear that I wasn't aware of between the phase one and two gearboxes.  And I forgot to mention that's what I'm doing, using a Phase two gearset in an early Phase one gearbox.

The phase two has moved the reverse slider gear ~0.2mm away from the input shaft, they've increased the height of the teeth on both the slider gear and the input shaft's reverse gear.  Now I'm working out with some mates exactly what needs to be done to make this work.

So much for the "drop a new set of gears in there and off I go" - it's been a couple of hurdles to get this thing sorted!

Thanks again for your replies!

Cheers

Bennie