Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xscaff

I recently purchased my second Subaru Legacy L AWD. It's a 1990 and I bought it from an older lady who bought it brand new and it's in excellent shape and only has 97K miles, it's an automatic and runs like a top. I'm looking to lift it a couple inches and from what I've read the easiest/best solution is to put struts from an outback or forester on it with no other modifications needed. I have plans to buy new struts/mounts/springs and doing this over the summer since I mainly drive it in the winter. Any help/suggestions/instructions/pictures/ideas greatly appreciated. Just not quite sure what years are compatible with my 90. Also if anyone knows where the best place to purchase all of this is let me know with some links of what I might need if possible. Thanks

Any 1990-1999 Legacy outback or 97- 04 or 08 or something forester will be a direct fit. You can ignore the rear tophat swap or hole to drill mentioned for the impreza lift. Yours is an exact match.

Also, the trailing arm brackets from the outback are rather necessary for impreza lifts but more optional for legacy.

With that setup you can clear a 27-28 inch tire. I used 215-75-15 tires on my forester lifted impreza.

His rear top hats will need to be changed. It's not a direct swap. 90-94 had a different rear stud patter than 95-99 legacy/outback or 98-08 forester or 02-07 inpreza. So he would need to drill new holes, or swap his top hats onto the outback or forester struts.

His rear top hats will need to be changed. It's not a direct swap. 90-94 had a different rear stud patter than 95-99 legacy/outback or 98-08 forester or 02-07 inpreza. So he would need to drill new holes, or swap his top hats onto the outback or forester struts.

I drilled mine out in the back so I could keep the outback top hat and push the springs out away from the inner wall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...