Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, a buddy of mine needs to get his truck out of West Virginia after it broke down on our last snowboarding trip. My question is, can my 08 Limited, with the towing package handle towing his 07 Toyota Tundra? We are considering using a dolly where his rear wheels are on pavement and front two on the dolly. His truck is approximately 5000 lbs give or take a few hundred. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Don't want to stress the vehicle too much going over some mountain passes and a 300 mile trip back to eastern Virginia.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Towing specs:  Tow 3,500 pounds with transmission cooler.
2000 pounds without transmission cooler. Tongue weight: 200 pounds, 300
pounds with transmission cooler

Trailer brakes are required when the trailer
and its cargo exceed 1,000 lbs.

Tribeca is about 800 pounds lighter than the towed vehicle. Plus the weight of a dolly and you'd be working it pretty hard.

Can the tribeca do it? Physically, yes. However, that truck will be trying to shove the subaru around on any curves and downhill grades unless you get a trailer with brakes - which equals more weight.

Safety and the potential for wear/damage to the tow vehicle say it would be a bad idea. On a short trip with flat ground I'd say take it slow and go for it. For 300 miles and mountains, best to rent or borrow something big that's more apt to tow that sort of load. No sense risking life, limb and subaru to save a few $$$.

Hertz, Penske and a few other rental chains will rent vans and trucks with tow packages by the day.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

I too, don't advise towing a large truck with a Tribeca. It was never made to haul something that big and heavy. A good rule of thumb, is to always tow using a larger vehicle to pull a smaller vehicle or trailer, never the other way around.

I have consistently got a better hauling rate from Budget Rent a Truck vs Hertz, Penske, or U-Haul. Suggest you get quotes on line for cost per mile, and drop off fees if ever considering renting a truck, trailer or dolly. Seems like all the truck rental vendors have "deals" going on all the time.

Consider renting a truck and trailer to do the tow. West Va is pretty hilly and the Tribeca will have a hard time with that terrain. No sense risking tearing up your own car to save $200.

You should also check with local towing companies to go get it. Sometimes you can work out a deal for a lower rate on long tow when it's not a critical "need it done right now because I'm stuck on the side of the road" sort of thing.

• Like 1

yes, you could do it, drive slow and carefully..  particularly being winter time/lower temps.  mountains would suck - if you're going I68 through Maryland that would be an awful drive.

i don't recommend that - better off just towing it with a dedicated trailer.