Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ hubs on an an ea platform.

Im looking for good info on running ej hubs on my xt6 i want to go to the dual pot brakes from an svx for more whao that wont fade out in 5 mins of hard use lmao. Im also looking for a balanced ride/ handling setup. I'm looking for an SVX like atitude where it rides good, but doesnt wallow in the corners.

I asked this question on the xt site as well but i know there are a lot more people here with great experience, and ideas.

Easy to do and mostly bolt on (except rear backing plates and parking brake). Basically just search "5 lug swap", there are tons of threads on it. Upfront you can just mount EJ knuckles and struts.. Rear requires a small amount of fabrication.

Edit: Just to elaborate... In the rear, you would need H6 (SVX) backing plates, rotors, calipers, and parking brake assemblies. You would keep the XT6 knuckle, shock, and hub.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Ok, i have a 4eat so a parking brake isnt a huge issue. If i went with svx parking brakes wouldnt i be pigeonholed into the 5x114.3 bolt pattern? If i were into that i wouldve swapped out the svx parts i had on hand not long ago.

On the rear fabrication, im satisfied with the original setup on the back, except the brakes. Could i swap my original fronts there to have an e-brake. Im not skeered of a little fab work, but reworking complete hubs is beyond my skill set lol

No, you would still have 5x100 from the XT6 rear hubs. You would only be using the backing plate, caliper, rotor, and ebrake assembly from an EJ car.

Using the EJ (regular or H6) backing plate would give you better brakes and the better parking brake assembly. The center hole in the EJ backing plate is too large and the bolt pattern for that plate is different between EA and EJ.. I personally just cut out and welded the EJ and EA plates to fit.. You also have to drill out 2 holes above the trans/drive shaft tunnel to run the parking brake cables into the cabin.

The alternative would be to use a nissan rear caliper that has the ebrake lever on the caliper itself (like the XT6 front calipers), but you would still need to drill holes in the cabin.

Examples pics of the rear:
img0367mn.jpg

img0373uva.jpg

img0375pz.jpg

img0376kr.jpg

Edited by Ibreakstuff
  • Like 1

It should be mentioned that EJ stuff is very easy, and allows a ton of options.

SVX is very different from EJ (almost as much as EA is from EJ). All the mounting points (strut, tie rod end, ball joint) are pretty different, the rotor hat offset is different, I think caliper bolt spacing is different, etc. etc.

But, you can get SVX-sized stuff with standard EJ dimensions all day every day, usually cheap or less.

That said, EJ is not hard, and completely worth it. They didn't change much for more than 20 years, so there are immense donor options. And when you're swapping them into an XT6 it's really quite easy. Just need the shorter EA81 outer tie rod end, and you'll have better camber, and a better akermann angle. I highly recommend it!!

• Like 1

I was wrong about the SVX rears then, since the rotors are 5x114.3 you would need the rotors from a 00-04 outback. But you could use the backing plates, calipers (with brackets), and parking brake assembly. Unless you have these already, it may be easier to use regular EJ bits. The SVX rotor hat offset is only different in the front.

As for the fronts.. Chux is correct.. You would probably want to use regular EJ knuckles and the 2pot calipers with 276x24mm rotors. If you go bigger it may require 17" rims.

This post has a ton of good information about rotor sizes, calipers, and part#'s for pads:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265631

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Thanks for all the aewsome info guys. I REALLY wanna get my XT6 back on the road. If anyone has ever driven an xt very hard, you know the brakes are SUPER fade prone. Its no fun to be at 8/10ths and have the pedal go all squishy with an ugly off camber corner looming!

Im not doing a ton of engine mods i like my er27 all super reliable lol. I am building a true cold/ram air system from a turbo hood tho. I have a ej throttle body i may incorporate IF i can bastardize the older tps to it. It has a larger diameter so should wake it up a little.

Also in the works is a 4EAT piggyback paddleshift, and virtual DCCD kit based on an industrial plc.

Any 4eat gurus i can consult for duty c frequencies, and when i move the shifter through the forward gears are there any physical linkage movements inside the trans?

Edited by crazyhorse001