Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who's Who Three (Roll call for lowered soobs)

My 83 Brat feels like it's lowered after driving the 82 for the last 5 months. Does that count?

My 84 Turbo is kind of lowered cause I put smaller than stock tires on it, so it sits like and inch lower!

Still no good? eh, get back to me in about 6 months, then I'll be able to say I do have one lifted and one lowered, and one stock!!

Zap, you are going to be hard pressed to get styles back in front of people...that kid takes and gives himself more crap than i have ever seen....and he doesn't even miss a beat when it happens. Just don't scratch the paint on his car.....

Actually zap, i have some info that might help you out here...but it will cost you...or it will cost styles to make me keep my mouth shut....

I just got done lowering mine. The front end dropped like almost 2" with the XT6 coils, and the rear Caboobaroo and I cut out 2 coils on each side, so now it sits level. Prolly gonna take another coil maybe two out of each to drop it a little more. I got some pic of it, plus a pic of it with NO coils in the rear at all :-) Looked pretty Mexi, cuz the rear was sitting on the bump stops but the front end was still stock :lol:

If you are going to lower your ride (the correct way), do you have to use XT6 front coils? Or can you use 2wd XT front coils? What's the best way to lower the rear? Is there any other way besides cutting the springs? Are there any other Soob coil overs that are shorter than standard EA82's?

I would like to lower my RX an inch or more, but want it done right :cool:

well not lowered YET, i will hopfully be getting my stuff to lower it in the comming weeks since i work at Aaron's, but so far im running pug 15" alloy's with 205/55/15 BFG Traction T/a's, RX front sway bar, XT6 rear swaybar, RX rear trailing arms w/ disk brakes.

the sway bars and lower trailing arms/brakes are getting put on tonight.

My wagon is lowered. I don't have any pics because its currently up in the air with the front end torn apart. I haven't finished my EA71-EA81 conversion yet. When I get a chance to finish it up, I'll get a couple pics but all I have to say is that it sits a hair lower that WJM's EA82 wagon:D I'm also gonna test fit some 15" pugs on it too with some low pros

• 1 month later...
If you are going to lower your ride (the correct way), do you have to use XT6 front coils? Or can you use 2wd XT front coils? What's the best way to lower the rear? Is there any other way besides cutting the springs? Are there any other Soob coil overs that are shorter than standard EA82's?

I would like to lower my RX an inch or more, but want it done right :cool:

Bump an old thread..

I want to know the answer to Rob's question too.

Not exactly sure but you could find a spring that has a higher spring rate but is shorter than stock. It might take some searching but in the end, your car would handle better than cut stock coils. Really the only way to lower a Subaru is either use other stock springs like the 2wd XT or in Andrew's case, 2wd XT6 springs, or to cut them. If you have a big nasty swaybar in the rear, cutting the rear coils is fine and it will handle a lot better that it does stock. Or you could do it like my Brat and pull the coils out completley and crank the torsion bars down so it all sits on bumpstops like this....

http://usmb.net/gallery/album225/AUT_3284

Mwahahahahaha!!!! Granted the ride is a little bumpy, I've gotten used to it fairly easily. It also handles like its on rail through corners!!!:D

Or as Caleb likes to do when he comes to my house, drive through the ditch that my Dodge ram cant go through to get out onto the road. LOL

But when i got the 87 wagon 5 sp d/r i was then able to go through it , it was a blast.

As for your lowered cars, to each there own, i like being able to drive fast over railroad track, not creep over them.

Bump an old thread..

I want to know the answer to Rob's question too.

yes, me too. I've been thinking about getting some cheap ebay sleeve over spring sets to play with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911162559&category=33582

I think it could work in the front but I'm clueless about how to deal with the rear on gen 1. I understand the torsion bar but it would be nice to have springs over struts in back rather than just shocks.

garner

Well garner, you can keep the suspension but you might want to remove the bumpstops. Depending on how low you go, you can remove the bumpstops in the rear to give it more travel. The only down side to removing the bumpstops is when you would bottom out, it'll smack metal on metal...not a great sound if you ask me.....