Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I chock the front wheels, pull the parking brake to the first click, lift the rear at the diff and use stands at the flat-jacking pinchwelds. Then, pull the little rubbder plugs out of the backing plates. Use a flat blade screwdriver and rotate the star wheel UP until the wheel won't turn. Put the plug back in. repeat for the other side.

that should do it. It is possible the little shoes are worn out I guess. You can buy a rebuild kit.  i have never adjusted the inside so, dunno how much wear on the shoes can be created by that adjustment.

I chock the front wheels, pull the parking brake to the first click, lift the rear at the diff and use stands at the flat-jacking pinchwelds. Then, pull the little rubbder plugs out of the backing plates. Use a flat blade screwdriver and rotate the star wheel UP until the wheel won't turn. Put the plug back in. repeat for the other side.

that should do it. It is possible the little shoes are worn out I guess. You can buy a rebuild kit.  i have never adjusted the inside so, dunno how much wear on the shoes can be created by that adjustment.

I'm guessing minimal, as that's just for stretch in the cable 

As Fairtax suggested, you need to see what is going on.  If you need to adjust the brake, here is some info.

From FSM:

Parking/emergency/e-brake section

D: ADJUSTMENT
1. SHOE CLEARANCE
1) Remove adjusting hole cover from back plate.
2) Turn adjusting screw [diagram shows screwdriver moving wheel up] using a slot-type screwdriver
until brake shoe is in close contact with disc
rotor.
3) Turn back (downward) adjusting screw 3 or 4
notches.
4) Install adjusting hole cover to back plate.

2. LEVER STROKE
1) Remove console box lid.
2) Forcibly pull parking brake lever 3 to 5 times.
3) Adjust parking brake lever by turning adjusting
nut until parking brake lever stroke is set at 7 to 8
notches with operating force of 196 N (20 kg, 44
lb).
4) Tighten lock nut.
5) Install console box lid.
Lever stroke:
7 to 8 notches when pulled with a force
of 196 N (20 kg, 44 lb)
Tightening torque (Lock nut):
5.9±1.5 N·m (0.60±0.15 kg-m, 4.3±1.1 ft-lb)