Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys! I am new to the site and found some really great info here!

Now, I am asking for some advice. I found a  1997 Subaru Legacy Outback for sale. I got him down to $600. Here's the breakdown: 

The car threw a rod and is not working. Body is in great shape with very minimal work to be done. The engine is a 2.5L and has 197K miles. Heres the original link: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/4915036530.html

I'm wondering if $600 is a great deal to start a new project car. I was probably going to buy a new engine and swap it with the same 2.5L engine when I find one.

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to USMB, we are here to help one another.

IMO, $600 is a good price. Ask the seller if he has kept receipts of work done on the car through the years. That can be valuable information. There is much written on this forum about swapping out 2.5 motors, like the one that you have. Recommend you do a "search" of the USMB. The 2.5 motor version used during model years of 1996 through 1999 have an inherit weakness of blowing head gaskets. It is recommended to replace with the 2.2 motor from 1995-98, with the best plug and play swap using a 1995 model 2.2 motor. That is what I did on my 98 OBW. The 2.2 motor has an excellent reputation for reliability.

Recommend going to website www.car-part.com. It is a listing of wrecking yards nationally. Yards listed present all the parts they have for sale and at what price. I have had excellent results buying parts through their referral system.

Ooops, I see by the listing that owner has maintenance info. that is good.

Edited by Rooster2

I agree with all of the above comments except one.

Do buy it first.

It was not the engine that was the problem, it was the  head gasket design.

Once the gaskets are replaced with the updated or mls type properly, the engine is very reliable.

It all depends on your confidence level.

Easier to replace with a 2.2,  but there is always a compromise, in this case HP.

It's only 20 HP, but the extra 150 or so lbs of the wagon  makes a difference if you drive in a hilly environment. Then you will feel it.

O.